Going Green
Well I'm going to try turning a Oak log here's where I'm at so far. Found this cut in the forest were we went camping last week, not sure how dry / wet it is. This will be my first green hollow form.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

Got the tenon cut and remounted started roughing the shape.

Attached Files Image(s)

Is the lathe still in the same spot it was when you started?  
Laugh
(08-15-2017, 09:50 PM)daddo Wrote: Is the lathe still in the same spot it was when you started?  
Laugh

Well it was unbalanced at first w/ that face plate; Then I went to YouTube as I do w/ most things and there was a guy that used the Drive centers & Live centers points only to find the balance. Once found, they were set into the log and then the large pieces could be removed and tenon cut.
But YES it still in the same place I made a box on the bottom of my base and filled it w/ 400 lbs. of sand; But I still think I'm going to use expanding anchors in the concrete on all 4 legs.

Bruce
Well spent some more time out in the shop this morning before it got to hot and was able to turn sand and I even rubbed in some Tung Oil; I figured this would help slow the drying time of this Red Oak. There's some nice figure in this piece now if I can just get it hollow and keep it from splitting 
Upset  I'm going to try to keep the opening around 2" so I bored a 1 7/8" hole w / a Forstner bit now I'm ready to finish the hollowing. Here's what she's looking like so far.

Attached Files Image(s)

Well I got the hollowing completed added several more coats of Tung oil to the out side but left the piece on the chuck to dry slowly inside the house and so I can wax/ buff the final finish once dry. I had to open up the top a bit to get my tools all the way to the bottom of the piece, she finished at 7" x 7" here's how it looks now.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

Great job! Nice looking piece of Oak too.
Thank you very much Frank.

Bruce
I'm not fond of oak (one on the lathe now, another blank waiting) but you have a very interesting hf there.

Your photography of the piece is also nice.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Sweet

Nice work
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020