Sheet Rock ?
(08-16-2017, 08:35 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: Why not pull the wire up in the attic and terminate in a j-box.

W/O cutting a long strip in the sheetrock, how does one remove the wire stays in the studs?

A "j-box" is a joint box I presume?

Jim
Jim
You're right, to remove those wires you may have to cut the rock away, but its not really much more work to patch a long strip vs just the hole the offending box was in.  And a j-box is a junction box.
(08-18-2017, 05:52 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: W/O cutting a long strip in the sheetrock, how does one remove the wire stays in the studs?

A "j-box" is a joint box I presume?

Jim

J-box is a junction box. A generic wiring box with a blank cover.

Generally speaking, I find that wiring is stapled within a foot of the box only. By removing the box through the existing hole, you can generally reach in and work the staple loose. A blunt screwdriver helps. I believe code says to staple every 4.5 feet and within 12 inces of the box, so light switch boxes only get the one staple. On outlets, if serviced from above, you would need another staple, but that doesn't mean I find them that way.

Of course, if this is the end of the run, just go up in the attic and cut the wire and put the live end in a j-box (ends nutted). Abandon the existing wire in the wall. Perfectly legal to leave it there, however, I usually write "abandoned" on any ends before buttoning up the wall.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(08-18-2017, 03:23 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: Of course, if this is the end of the run, just go up in the attic and cut the wire and put the live end in a j-box (ends nutted). Abandon the existing wire in the wall.  Perfectly legal to leave it there, however, I usually write "abandoned" on any ends before buttoning up the wall.

If it's the end of a run, you can also find the box that's feeding it, and disconnect it there.  Snip the conductors off as close as you can, and shove them out of the box (or not, especially if the cable is sealed to the box, like on an outside wall), or wire nut them and label them 'abandoned'.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Certainly.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Just hang a framed picture of a light switch over it.
(08-18-2017, 03:23 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: J-box is a junction box.  A generic wiring box with a blank cover.

Generally speaking, I find that wiring is stapled within a foot of the box only.  By removing the box through the existing hole, you can generally reach in and work the staple loose.  A blunt screwdriver helps. I believe code says to staple every 4.5 feet and within 12 inces of the box, so light switch boxes only get the one staple.   On outlets, if serviced from above, you would need another staple, but that doesn't mean I find them that way.  

Of course, if this is the end of the run, just go up in the attic and cut the wire and put the live end in a j-box (ends nutted). Abandon the existing wire in the wall.  Perfectly legal to leave it there, however, I usually write "abandoned" on any ends before buttoning up the wall.
 Thanks Mike. You helped an old man that knows very little about elec. Use to refer to my brother, but he's gone onto heaven. Even though he's a Marine, I can only assume Marines go there also.
Jim
(08-16-2017, 07:32 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: Thanks all. The electrician capped of the live wires. So I guess I'll have to splurg on a cover. Part of my kitchen make over.

If that is the only extra thing you have to pay for in a kitchen redo, you are extremely smart - or lucky.  
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin