Walnut or Butternut?
Hello all.[Image: Y5rw4Mv4kw9UdGvn6]

I recently picked up a bunch of wood that was described as black walnut.  The tree had been down for almost 4 months but I was still surprised at how light it was when I sawed off a section and loaded it into my trailer.  The wood floats and didn't throw very much water at all when roughing out.  I was also a bit surprised by the very wide band of sapwood and it's rapid growth, but have since come to understand that black walnuts can grow fast.  Indeed, there were many other, younger trees (and one grandaddy) of the same species around the property.  Unfortunately, I didn't take note of the leaflets or nut shape, both of which can be differentiators.

Other observations:
  • wood is often green when first cut (I know this is a characteristic of BW but is it also true of BN?)
  • wood is not particularly fuzzy when cut, but maybe a tad 
Here's a photo album to aid in identification: https://goo.gl/photos/G5vXQ1uHfwWodTvu8

Obviously, the wet wood will appear darker but does anybody know if BN gets this dark?

Thanks,

Jim
It looks like Walnut to me. It's too dark to be Butternut. Here is a picture showing both. According to the image, to me the choice is obvious.
Tim.

[Image: Butternut_brk2_lg.jpg]
Seven days without turning makes one weak.
Butternut is called the "white" Black Walnut.  It is not as heavy and dark as BW but it does turn well.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks, Tim.

I've seen that photo and it is compelling.  But then there's ones like this.  

One thing that I didn't mention, and that some of you may know, is that butternut bark tends to be furrowed with flattened tops, whereas black walnut tends to be peaked at the tops.  The logs I have show no signs of flattening that I can see.

I read an older thread on some other forum where the ultimate verdict was butternut and those logs looked similar to mine.  

My main concern was the apparent light weight.  Butternut is ~24lb/ft^3; black walnut is ~38 (or 25 and 35, depending on where you look).

-Jim
You've not seen the nuts, apparently, or you wouldn't be asking.  Third possibility?  Sure, Circassian (English) walnut.  Lighter in color though heavier in weight than similar black.  Note that weight depends on how fast the tree grew and the amount of moisture.  http://www.wood-database.com/english-walnut/   I guess anyone wanting to eat the nuts would not plant black.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Have you worked walnut before?  To me it has a very distinctive smell.  Does this wood have a notice odor when cutting/turning?
I picked up one of the nuts from a tree close by and noted that it was bright green and pungent but I failed to notice whether it was spherical or oblong.  

-Jim
I have worked walnut before, several years ago.  I don't recall the smell, exactly, but this current wood does have a smel.  Not especially nice, almost fecal at times.  I've been turning elm, locust and semi-punky maple and crabapple so this stuff didn't really stand out as all that bad ;-)

-Jim
Black walnut.  Butternut bark has long ridges on the bark compared to walnut.  Both the bark and the color of the heartwood suggest black walnut.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Yeah I agree.  Black walnut.