Roubo Bench Slab Wood Species
(08-28-2017, 07:05 AM)pinsntails Wrote: Doug Fir beams are often used as exposed interior beams in lodge / post & beam style construction. Any good lumber yard can source them for you. Also, structural beams are sometimes made from laminated DF 2x material (known as glulam https://www.bc.com/manufacturing/boise-glulam). These can be ordered in very large dimensions. I'd love to see a roubo bench made from a slab 14" thick and 48" wide! That would be crazy!

-Sam

Yes. That would be crazy. You should be able to find salvaged timber. Especially, in a large, populated metropolis. I looked at my Seattle Second Use site and they are smitten by the Grandeur Bug. They used to have decent stuff, at a decent price.
(08-20-2017, 09:00 PM)BaileyNo5 Wrote: [Image: 9338833295_4fde0e73ef_c.jpg]

Are those the Harbor Freight anti fatigue mats? If they are do you like them? How do they hold up?

Carl
(08-29-2017, 05:30 AM)Carl Grover Wrote: Are those the Harbor Freight anti fatigue mats? If they are do you like them? How do they hold up?
Carl

Hey Carl
I think I got those at Costco, for some stupid low price.  They are ok, better than nothing.  But it would be a stretch to call them good.  If one has issues with standing on hard surfaces, it's probably worth finding something better.  I've since taken one of the thick heavy mats we have in our kitchen (again a Costco find, but much pricier) and placed it in front of my bench.  My wife rejected it because it developed cracks after 4 or 5 years.  But it's still very comfy for my tootsies.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
(08-17-2017, 06:55 AM)pinsntails Wrote: Has anyone built a Roubo style (or other style) bench using Douglas Fir for the top slab? 

Large Fir beams can be readily sourced so I thought it might make a good option. One might need to edge join 2 beams to get to the 18-22' desired width. My main concern was if it was found to be splintery or too soft, though I don't think softness would be an issue.

Thoughts? Experiences?

-Sam

Personal preference.  Personally I don't like a soft wood workbench for a couple reasons.  It gets too dinged up too easily and it doesn't withstand vibration forces as well so you have to go thicker.  If it were me, I would build the base of fir and go the extra expense make the top of hardwood.

Limited experience with fir, but it is quite brittle and subject to tear out when milling.  I've also run into sap inclusions.