Anyone purchase wood from 'wooddork123' ?
(08-17-2017, 08:19 PM)CharlesinSEA Wrote: So this may be getting a little off topic, but since I didn't bring it up, and it seems to come up often, here are my thoughts on PayPal Friends & Family:

Yes, it is dishonest at best to use F&F in a genuine business transaction. I don't consider most or even many purchases on this forum to fit that description though. Most people posting items for sale here are doing on the internet the equivalent of bringing a couple hand tools along to their local woodworking club. If I came to my local woodworking club and someone demanded I pay with a credit card and pay a 3% fee, I would consider that atypical. In the same way, I consider most transactions on this forum to be between trusting friends. Yes, there could be incidents of dishonesty, (though I would caution the original poster from jmping to that conclusion) but ive been through quite a number of transactions now and have had much better luck than with any online auction site. give it a bit more time, and chalk it up to a small loss compared to all the gains you may have otherwise gotten in purchases.

Just my $0.02.

Any time cash is exchanged for goods or services between two parties it is a business transaction. I doubt very much that Paypal considers a $500 payment for a Lie Nielsen hand plane "the equivalent of bringing a couple of hand tools along to their local woodworking club." Perhaps next time such a transaction occurs you might ask them.

From my point-of-view, there is very little chance that someone will take F&F funds and fail to send the goods for which the funds were intended. The dishonesty involved is the theft of Paypal's commission on the transaction. It is a small commission, and I don't really understand how someone can deprive them of it in good conscience. If you don't want to pay it, why not send a check or postal money order?
I'm old school, checks if I know you, others money order. I've not embraced the EFT technologies like paypal, which has issues.  The vast, vast majority of longtime members in the S&S say what they will do, and do what they say. I can think of maybe two instances where there was a problem, one involving the sale of wood, where things went sideways and folks got hurt. Now, this is the internet after all and some might want to take advantage, but folks figure out pretty quick who the scam artists are.  I am very glad this situation worked out.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(08-19-2017, 12:51 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Most times when i have needed paypal its not because the seller was a bad person. But the guarantee is that you receive a product in a condition you bought it in. Most sellers think i shipped the product, its not my problem any more, and that is not true.

Only difference is when i arrange for a product to be delivered to me and i originate the pickup, then the shipping co settles with me.

No matter who or how many posts or how much you think you know someone, you do f&f you gave money away with no recorse if you are not happy later as far as pp is concerned. Your risk.

I like what Mike said.

When I was selling the magnets and I still have to get some together if the buyer had some broken or missing due to miscount I was more then happy to send out the missing or damages ones, but the 2 that did tell me they said no problem.  I like most of the people here and there is one I would not sell anything to but I always want to make everything right.  My honesty is the biggest thing to me and Yes I did mix up an order to and the two guys swapped and would not let me pay the shipping back to them.  Thanks guys.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.