Samsung Mini-split?
I'm buying a home with a walk out basement so I can have a large shop again.  The previous owner apparently finished a large portion of the basement but didn't provide for suitable HVAC for it.  So while the temperature variation isn't too bad, the humidity (east TN) results in a less than optimum environment.  I had my HVAC guru in and he recommended a 2 ton Samsung mini-split for the area which is about 1000 sq. ft.  I don't have an estimate from him yet but he said the installed cost would be about $4k and doesn't include the electrical addition necessary.  The unit would be used frequently but not run constantly but at settings adequate to minimize moisture issues in that area.

I know many of you have probably done such installations yourself but that isn't an option for me with my limited skills at such things so I have the following questions:

1.  Is the Samsung mini-split a good unit? 

2.  Is $4k about right for an install?

If you have recommendations for a different brand, please include that information.  Thanks in advance.
I am in CT and I have taken a two pronged approach to shop HVAC: I have a small dehumidifier which runs year round and is controlled by its own humidistat. Of course it runs more hours per day in the summer than the dead of winter, but it maintains the humidity where I want it. To supplement that, I have a mini-split, can't remember the make at the moment, but I suspect there is some giant factory in China that makes all of the brands, and a guy at the end of the production line that slaps the appropriate brand label on before they go into boxes. Anyway, I have found that this arrangement does a nice job of keeping the humidity down, while allowing me to run the AC only when I am in the shop. I installed the mini-split and there is not a lot of work involved, but your price does not sound off the mark from what I have seen quoted up here.
1000 sq ft seems like a longways to go for a single headed mini-split. Would having two heads make more sense? Also given that your cooling requirement is low considering the below grade walls and rooms above, a smaller unit may be sufficient. However, I don't think you gain much cost savings, so why not go big. Also, do you need heat. Mini-splits can be heat pumps too.

Where in East tennessee? I'm moving to the greater Athens area early next year. 1200 ft second garage will be my workshop. The wife gets the first garage to actually park a car in. Not sure she will let me park my truck in it.
Smile
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I'm in Maryville; a bit north and east of Athens.  I think you will enjoy it here.  Temperate climate and cost of living is pretty good.  I'm actually upsizing to the new place as I bought a small place to downsize and found that I wanted more space for all year round shop time so I'm moving again.  While I can tolerate the cooler temps of winter in the half garage I now occupy, the summers are just too humid for work in a non-air conditioned garage.  I misjudged how much I would miss the shop so time to remedy it before I can't work in the shop any more due to age.  There are a couple of woodworking guilds or clubs in the area.  One in Tellico Village which is fairly close to Athens and the other in Maryville.  Look for Tellico Village Woodworkers and East Tennessee Woodworker's Guild on line and pick your poison.  I prefer the latter but it is more a drive from Athens.

By the way, the mini-split will heat and cool.
There won't be any problem over sizing a little. The system is designed to record how quickly the temp is lowering and rising and will reduce the compressor and blower speeds to create a longer running cycle in order to help remove humidity, then start up sooner before a normal call to reach/maintain the temp. In fact it may run 80% of the time to reach it's happy equilibrium. It may operate best if the thermostats temp is set and not changed up and down too much.
It's most likey programmable for different modes as well.
Daddo, would you say that about any generic mini-split or is it Samsung specific? Do you think he would benefit with two heads? I'd estimate a 24 foot depth of the house so that would be a 40 foot width.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(08-18-2017, 12:22 PM)LongLook Wrote: I'm in Maryville; a bit north and east of Athens.  I think you will enjoy it here.  Temperate climate and cost of living is pretty good.  I'm actually upsizing to the new place as I bought a small place to downsize and found that I wanted more space for all year round shop time so I'm moving again.  While I can tolerate the cooler temps of winter in the half garage I now occupy, the summers are just too humid for work in a non-air conditioned garage.  I misjudged how much I would miss the shop so time to remedy it before I can't work in the shop any more due to age.  There are a couple of woodworking guilds or clubs in the area.  One in Tellico Village which is fairly close to Athens and the other in Maryville.  Look for Tellico Village Woodworkers and East Tennessee Woodworker's Guild on line and pick your poison.  I prefer the latter but it is more a drive from Athens.

By the way, the mini-split will heat and cool.

I understand the need for shop time. I'm definitely the same way.

Tellico Village is a retirement community and I'd feel like I was associating with them way too soon.
Smile

I have friends that were considering Maryville, but recently have been looking nearer Lenior City. In fact, they are in TN right now looking at a few potential building lots. I'm hoping they don't buy what they showed me, but its not my life to live. I just think they can do better. They have 4 years to shop still.

Can't help you with a brand, but when I lived in Charlotte, it was pretty hot and humid, at least for a yankee.  I had a quite large walkout and I put up a sheetrock wall and double doors to close off a portion where I would do most of my work, and bought a window AC unit.  That closed off portion was about 25 x 35, and the window unit would keep it comfortable, not optimal, but good enough, and my tools wouldn't rust.  Just a thought, it all depends on your layout.  I'd rather spend 4 grand on something else..... like tools or wood.  Good luck to you.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(08-18-2017, 02:32 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: Daddo, would you say that about any generic mini-split or is it Samsung specific?  Do you think he would benefit with two heads?  I'd estimate a 24 foot depth of the house so that would be a 40 foot width.

It's pretty well become the norm now except for a few low end brands.

If it is an open space with no exceptional heat loads across the room, one head should suffice.
Thank you kindly.