Oops!
I mixed up & used Van Dykes crystals, pretty good so far. I got impatient and applied H2O poly before it totally dried. Now it's time to bring out the sand paper and start over.

Any suggestions are also appreciated.

Thanks
Jim
Jim
Make sure you have enough sandpaper?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I don't think whether it was totally dry would have mattered. When you apply a waterborne finish on top of a water soluble dye/stain/coloring agent the finish will redissolve the colorant and cause it to streak (that's what happened???) and do unwanted things. You could have sprayed the top coat and not had problems, but otherwise you need to seal the dye with shellac or such to provide a barrier layer between it and the top coat.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-21-2017, 10:11 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I don't think whether it was totally dry would have mattered. When you apply a waterborne finish on top of a water soluble dye/stain/coloring agent the finish will redissolve the colorant and cause it to streak (that's what happened???) and do unwanted things. You could have sprayed the top coat and not had problems, but otherwise you need to seal the dye with shellac or such to provide a barrier layer between it and the top coat.

Didn't streak much, just caused it to ripple. If you seal it with shellac, why would you need a top coat? I always thought shellac was a top coat. Would an oil base poly work?
Jim
Shellac is an excellent top coat for some purposes but it's not as durable as, well, pretty much anything else. If it's suitable for your application there's no reason you can't leave it as the top coat. Top coating it with anything that's not water soluble (including oil based varnish) would probably work just as well. But your definition of "just caused it to ripple" has me wondering if there was something else at play here.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-21-2017, 01:46 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Shellac is an excellent top coat for some purposes but it's not as durable as, well, pretty much anything else. If it's suitable for your application there's no reason you can't leave it as the top coat. Top coating it with anything that's not water soluble (including oil based varnish) would probably work just as well. But your definition of "just caused it to ripple" has me wondering if there was something else at play here.

For a lack of a better word, "ripple". I mean it appears to be dissolving to stain and rising up looking like an accordion.
Jim