Eclipse 2017
Just came in from watching the eclipse. Fog was a concern, but burned off about 9:30. 

It was fun, very slow (still tailing here on the left coast) and only about 90% in the Puget Sound region. Guesstimate is 10:17 - 10:20 PDT, at a crescent maximum. No strange activity, other than noticing the room getting darker 15 minutes before maximum..... It might be a 2 and half minutes totality but I estimate the process is closer to two hours, from blushing kiss to good-bye. Even with proper filters, observation is intense and found myself looking away every minute. 

Anti-climatic, would be the overall sense.
Don't mean to seem droll. Just wanted to get an over-all posted. When last checked 11:25, coverage was at a 10th to 12th, 7pm to 8pm. Through the whole process, I was reminded of a crescent twisting clockwise around the moon; plump to skinny, to plump.  I have wood working plans for the event.

The only animal oddity seemed to be a higher level of bird noise; but that can purely be subjective. Objectively, I stood next to the hummingbird feeder, and they were not happy. They do come to the feeder late in the day. 

There is no 'night time'. Lumens (?) just diminish. A better sense of dark and light is to be outside, then walk indoors.
I just watched in Columbia SC where we got a "total" eclipse. Yep, sure enough, it went dark as soon as the moon completely covered the sun. Up until complete coverage, the lighting was was comparable to early evening, moving to twilight. When the moon completely covered the face of the sun, it was like someone turned off the light switch. Everything went dark and the street lights came on. Lasted for a little over two minutes. The corona was spectacular and visible with the naked eye. As soon as a sliver of the sun emerged from behind the moon, daylight was back. I was surprised how quickly the light reappeared with just a small sliver of the sun showing. One of the really interesting phenomena I noticed was the shadows cast by the tree leaves. Each tiny opening in the leaf canopy cast a crescent image of the sun on the ground, and the crescent deepened as the moon encroached on the sun. The shadows had a scalloped appearance., It was very cool. I was on my guard against a Bigfoot attack or a marauding herd of werewolves, but I didn't see any of those. I must have been in the wrong place.
Big Grin 
No Zombies Hank? 
Laugh Oh I forgot. That's an apocalypse not an eclipse
Laugh

Hope you're doing well,

Ron
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
I work in a large aerospace manufacturing company and I would guess probably 200 geeky engineers (myself included) were outside viewing the eclipse.  One guy had a telescope rigged for viewing.  Some had cereal box viewers (look it up).  Some had those cheapo eclipse viewers.  One guy had a welding mask.  I made a quick and dirty pinhole viewer by punching a thumb tack through a folded sheet of paper and projecting the image onto another piece of paper.  It was notably cooler here, but at only 65% obscuration, daylight still reigned.  Kind of like standing under a semi-opaque awning like you see sometimes in the garden centers at home improvement stores.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(08-21-2017, 05:00 PM)Ron Brese Wrote: No Zombies Hank? 
Laugh Oh I forgot. That's an apocalypse not an eclipse
Laugh

Hope you're doing well,

Ron

So it isn't the Four Horsemen of the Eclipse?
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
I went up to Charleston for the event but ended up not staying. Almost complete cloud cover and more clouds with thunderstorms right at the climax predicted. I made it back to Savannah in time for the eclipse but it was completely socked in there as well.

Still had a good time; Went to some 18th c. church ruins burned by the British during the revolutionary war, went to Magnolia Plantations in Charleston and got my Costco fix there.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Here's what it looked like from Calgary.  This image pretty much represents the max coverage for our area. Took a pair of binoculars, cut holes for the big ends in cardboard, and projected it onto a whiteboard.  Stereo!

[Image: 36678421296_34f033361f_c.jpg]
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
Okay, I probably shouldn't admit this, but from the title of the thread and the forum, I thought that there must be a new side clamping sharpening jig....
Rolleyes
Yeah. Complete bust here in Savannah. I caught ever so slight partial coverage at the very end through thin clouds. It was a good day to be at work.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".