What size Key Hole saw
(08-21-2017, 06:05 PM)Herb G Wrote: You obviously don't know the difference between a key hole saw & a hole saw.

I keep striving to know everything like you apparently do.
Jim
(08-21-2017, 06:08 PM)museumguy Wrote: How many holes are you cutting? Are they overhead or on a pair of sawhorses? The reason that I ask is because there a few options on how to do this, depends on where the cut is, in the air or on the ground.

I'll be making 4 ceiling medallions, which will be holding the connection box. So I'll be cutting the holes on the bench or drill press
Jim
I would use a hole saw, what type of box?

A steel octogon box takes a 4" hole. Plastic might be different.

Ed
(08-21-2017, 08:36 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: I keep striving to know everything like you apparently do.

You'll get there one day my friend.

BTW, I forgot the
Big Grin  in my first response.
I was just yanking yer chain.

Winkgrin
Router and trammel point for just 4 of them.    Roly
(08-22-2017, 03:58 AM)Herb G Wrote: You'll get there one day my friend.

BTW, I forgot the
Big Grin  in my first response.
I was just yanking yer chain.

Winkgrin

Great my friend. I withdraw my sarcasm.
Prayer Still haven't got an answer to my question
Jim
(08-21-2017, 08:39 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: I'll be making 4 ceiling medallions, which will be holding the connection box. So I'll be cutting the holes on the bench or drill press

Make the medallions over sized so they act like a trim piece. I'd expect the hole saw to rip up the veneer on the plywood.

Put the junction box on the ply, trace around the outside and cut it with a jig saw.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Assume you are talking about a old work box with the lip around it. 4 1/8" should be correct.   Take a compass and draw a 4 1/8" dia circle and cut it out, see if it fits.    roly
all the 4" round old work junction boxes I have seen will barely work with a 4" hole.  There must be a larger box which I haven't seen.  I would say that 3 3/4" would be perfect, but I haven't tried it.  For drywall, I got a 3 1/2, going to have to do a little modification of the holes to get the box through that hole though. Haven't tried that yet either.  

I'm talking about this box: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-Gang.../100404072
(08-22-2017, 11:03 AM)EricU Wrote: all the 4" round old work junction boxes I have seen will barely work with a 4" hole.  There must be a larger box which I haven't seen.  I would say that 3 3/4" would be perfect, but I haven't tried it.  For drywall, I got a 3 1/2, going to have to do a little modification of the holes to get the box through that hole though. Haven't tried that yet either.  

I'm talking about this box: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-Gang.../100404072

The installation instructions for that box has a pdf template.   It shows exactly a 4" dia hole but with 3  half inch holes drilled around the outside edge to provide clearance for the clamps.   4" is the exact size so it could be tight.
Best to try on a sample piece to see how close the template is. Roly