Swinging cradle lock problem
I'm building a cradle which is suspended between two upright arms and a base, all out of 3/4 red oak. I can't think of an elegant way of putting in an optional stop, to keep from swinging if necessary. All I can think of is drilling a hole through one of the supports and a blind hole in the cradle body, and using a dowel with a knob head. If I do this, I have to lock the dowel in the hole, so it doesn't fall out and the dog runs away with it. Anyone have a better idea? Thanks, tomconn.
(08-22-2017, 07:47 PM)tomconn42 Wrote: I'm building a cradle which is suspended between two upright arms and a base, all out of 3/4 red oak. I can't think of an elegant way of putting in an optional stop, to keep from swinging if necessary. All I can think of is drilling a hole through one of the supports and a blind hole in the cradle body, and using a dowel with a knob head. If I do this, I have to lock the dowel in the hole, so it doesn't fall out and the dog runs away with it. Anyone have a better idea? Thanks, tomconn.

Can you post a picture or two of the cradle?
Why not use a larger size dowel and turn down the end that you pull then glue a knob on it
(08-22-2017, 07:47 PM)tomconn42 Wrote: I'm building a cradle which is suspended between two upright arms and a base, all out of 3/4 red oak. I can't think of an elegant way of putting in an optional stop, to keep from swinging if necessary. All I can think of is drilling a hole through one of the supports and a blind hole in the cradle body, and using a dowel with a knob head. If I do this, I have to lock the dowel in the hole, so it doesn't fall out and the dog runs away with it. Anyone have a better idea? Thanks, tomconn.

Here is an option if you have a stretcher. It's hinged on the bottom of the cradle. It has a ball catch to hold it up and out of the way.

Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(08-23-2017, 12:12 PM)CLETUS Wrote: Here is an option if you have a stretcher. It's hinged on the bottom of the cradle. It has a ball catch to hold it up and out of the way.
Two great ideas! I like the trapped dowel idea, but I wonder whether I should put one at each side........ The other, with a picture, is very similar to my cradle, stretcher and all. Thanks for your help.
That's exactly how I modified the cradle my FIL made for his daughter and we used for our daughter. I just used a dowel, no knob. I was more concerned with safety than looks and the 1/4 hole is not really noticable.

Built this exact sort of cradle for my second child 22 years ago.
Use a threaded knob rather than a dowel. Add an insert to the upright, and screw through into the cradle arm. I would also recommend adding a metal sleeve to the hole in the cradle arm to keep the screw from damaging the hole. (You can add a threaded insert to the cradle arm as well, but the two inserts will need to be aligned so the screw does not bind when engaged with both inserts)
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(08-25-2017, 08:28 AM)handi Wrote: Built this exact sort of cradle for my second child 22 years ago.
Use a threaded knob rather than a dowel. Add an insert to the upright, and screw through into the cradle arm. I would also recommend adding a metal sleeve to the hole in the cradle arm to keep the screw from damaging the hole. (You can add a threaded insert to the cradle arm as well, but the two inserts will need to be aligned so the screw does not bind when engaged with both inserts)
Thanks to everybody for your advice. I'm not good with computers, so i can't post pictures. Anyway, I decided to install two sliding bolts under the cradle, screwed to a lengthwise cross support under the cradle bottom, on each side. When closed, they will be flush with the cradle end edges. when extended, they will go into drilled holes in the support arms. I'm not sure of the ergonomics of having to reach under the cradle to release them, however. The advantage is, if they prove too awkward to use, there won't be much visible damage, except for the stop holes in the insides of the supports.Then I'll probably go with the threaded knob mounted through the support arm. Thanks again! It's heartwarming to know there are people out there willing to help others.