Mig welding hood lens
(08-24-2017, 02:15 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: I am a bit old school here. Welded for over 20 years with a 'manual' hood. #11 lens was my choice(#14 was recommended to view the eclipse). MIG and arc.

My current neighbor has an auto darkening helmet(for auto body work) and is having a lot of trouble with it.

My advice---get rid of the auto darkening and get a glass lens and sandwich between plastic lenses. No batteries needed.

OK thanks, I will consider it.  Being that you have 20 years experience welding, what would you recommend as a reasonable flow rate using the 75/25%  co-2 Argon mix for the information above?
Regards
Bill
You may try a new helmet too. Perhaps with age, the glass has spitted or has a haze over it over time.

I've had no problems with my auto helmets- the Lincoln one was nothing but trouble- delayed too much and gave me the flashes.

I have an expensive Jackson ?model that does very good, and a HF one. Believe it or not, the HF one is my go-to helmet- it's lighter and actually does a good job. 30 bucks. *Your mileage may vary.
I have the Harbor Freight one and it works as good as the Millers that we have
(08-29-2017, 05:43 PM)fixtureman Wrote: I have the Harbor Freight one and it works as good as the Millers that we have

HF adjustable, auto darkening one for me, too.  No issues.  Used it on 13 to watch the eclipse last week. 

John
(08-29-2017, 07:41 PM)jteneyck Wrote: HF adjustable, auto darkening one for me, too.  No issues.  Used it on 13 to watch the eclipse last week. 

John

I was curious if it would autodarken for the eclipse.  I used welding glasses and sun glasses to take quick looks.
(08-29-2017, 03:44 PM)daddo Wrote: Believe it or not, the HF one is my go-to helmet- it's lighter and actually does a good job. 30 bucks. *Your mileage may vary.

+1

Currently about $40.00 now.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have found that blocking light shining into your helmet from the back helps as well. Toss a welding apron over your head once your hood is down.... not convenient but it works