Saw Rescue today
At a garage sale today....found a (GASP!
Sad ) Painted saw....

Non-painted side.   Handle details?

Not too bad so far
Confused ?  Saw is a 26" long, 8ppi, skew back, three bolt of Brass...but, flip this over..

Disregard the paint
Upset ...will soon be GONE.
Rolleyes    But, the medallion seems to have been set on this side by design?
Confused  

Pheonix Warranted, with a "bird" not an eagle.   Still trying to read the rest of the markings....
Confused

Atkins?   Or, someone else?
Confused

After the Chest of drawers project it done, this will be next on the bench.....wonder which side will have an etch, if any?

Price sticker said $2...paid $1.50.....meh
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Good save. Maybe the medallion was reversed for aesthetics by the "artist".
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
So, out of the metaphorical ashes of a painted saw will come a Phoenix saw?  Works for me!

[Image: 403401-mythical-creatures-phoenix.jpg]
Took it outside, to bask in the sunlight...

Still need to sharpen it up...once I get the saw vise out from under a pile of cutoffs.

Not too bad..for $1.50?
(08-26-2017, 03:13 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: So, out of the metaphorical ashes of a painted saw will come a Phoenix saw?  Works for me!

[Image: 403401-mythical-creatures-phoenix.jpg]

That's a really nice saw, Bill. Do you know who made it, painted it?
Atkins list the Phoenix medallions for sale, (along with AAA medallions and saw scews) in their 1919 catalog, $5.50 a gross for the 1" dia ones.
But your saw has the screws in backwards which indicates its been messed with, so there's no guarantees the saw is an Atkins.
3 screw saws were not top line models, which generally means they were less finished, but the saw steel is likely the same as for better class saws (just less polished, or maybe not taper ground).  Still worth a rescue.
(08-26-2017, 04:41 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Took it outside, to bask in the sunlight...

Still need to sharpen it up...once I get the saw vise out from under a pile of cutoffs.

Not too bad..for $1.50?

A good candidate for cutting down to panel saw size, given the three screw config, as the toe of the plate is a bit narrow.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Been there, done that...

Already have too many Panel Saws
Eek
Eek

May keep it as is....I know a left-handed  friend of mine.....will have to get out the Wentworth No. 1 and sharpen this saw up, first..