is there such a thing as an extension for a 4" round j-box?
I have one box that is flush with the joists and I'd rather not move it down to get it to stick through the sheetrock.  A quick search doesn't show a solution for this problem. Was hoping there was a 5/8" mud ring, but I don't see any.
(08-26-2017, 03:36 PM)EricU Wrote: I have one box that is flush with the joists and I'd rather not move it down to get it to stick through the sheetrock.  A quick search doesn't show a solution for this problem. Was hoping there was a 5/8" mud ring, but I don't see any.

any of these work?
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I was wondering if an octagon box extension would work, maybe I'll have to go play with them at the borg
(08-26-2017, 04:10 PM)EricU Wrote: I was wondering if an octagon box extension would work, maybe I'll have to go play with them at the borg

It should at least that is how I have done them in the past.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(08-26-2017, 03:36 PM)EricU Wrote: I have one box that is flush with the joists and I'd rather not move it down to get it to stick through the sheetrock. Was hoping there was a 5/8" mud ring, but I don't see any.

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index...df354995cd

"Hubbell Raco 727 4" Octagon Cover, Raised 5/8", Ears 2-3/4" O.C. Used to hang light fixture from 4" octagon box or 4" round ceiling pan. 1/2" knockout in center of cover. Key-hole mounting feature allows for installation of cover without removing box screws."
Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.blocklighting.com/product/186...akQAvD_BwE

If yes, I doubt you'd find them in a home center.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
Phil, that's what I want, hopefully in 5/8".  You think an electrical supply would have them?
(08-26-2017, 06:56 PM)EricU Wrote: Phil, that's what I want, hopefully in 5/8".  You think an electrical supply would have them?

I sort of doubt it.

I'd call Garvin ("manufacturer") and ask if they sell them to anyone in your area.

https://www.garvinindustries.com/electri...ings/57111
absolutely an electrical supply house will have them. Used all the time
John T.
(08-26-2017, 11:11 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: absolutely an electrical supply house will have them. Used all the time

What are they used for?

The only time I've seen them used is when drywall was doubled-up.

Kind of a specialty item around here.