is there such a thing as an extension for a 4" round j-box?
(08-26-2017, 11:18 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: What are they used for?

The only time I've seen them used is when drywall was doubled-up.

Kind of a specialty item around here.

Light fixtures, smoke alarms, security. Many times octagon boxes are used in drop ceilings on ceiling bars and the ring is used. Fixture bars work well with them. easier for a fixture finish plate to cover a smaller round hole that a larger octagon hole
John T.
have to go check out the local electrical supply place out.  Used to go there a lot but one of the guys that was at the counter a lot was a real jerk and I just gave up on them.  I always figured he was a relative.
(08-27-2017, 05:56 PM)EricU Wrote: have to go check out the local electrical supply place out.  Used to go there a lot but one of the guys that was at the counter a lot was a real jerk and I just gave up on them.  I always figured he was a relative.

if you are in a hurry you could probably swap out to a 4 square box with a mud ring
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

heh, it's under drywall right now, gotta cut it out.  Hoping the supply house has mud rings.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-Square-F.../100579922

You can modify a square 5/8" mud ring. Use your bench grinder to make it round (the same size as the existing ceiling box). Drill two holes to match the holes in the existing box. Attach it to the box using the existing machine screws.
well, I guess I put the electric supply out of business, there is a party supply store in their building now. Going to have to figure out another one to go to
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index...df354995cd

The 5/8" round mud ring I suggested earlier is currently available at one of the Ace Hardware stores in Centre County, and can be ordered online and picked up at all of the other Ace Hardware stores in your area.
is there a cover plate that goes over that?
(08-30-2017, 06:49 PM)EricU Wrote: is there a cover plate that goes over that?

Yes if needed
John T.
I think the borgs have those rings, but I'm not convinced that's the way I want to go.