Free Emmert = new workbench
I messed up and let somebody give me an Emmert Turtleback vise. Doggone it, I did not need anything else to do! Now I have to go googling and YouTubeing Emmert, figure out what's missing and locate what I need, and build another workbench.

Always thought I had another workbench in me. Think I have room. I've had my eye on the spot where I have an old table that catches all scraps from table sawing. That's needed to go for a while now!

Was always interested in the Emmert, but never thought I would own one. I went the cheap route and got a Wilton turrent vise only a couple years ago.

Please show me some pictures of workbenches with Emmerts. Comments on what I need to consider are also welcome. My favorite bench, the English bench, probably isn't going to cut it.

Missing from my freebie is the plate that attaches to the workbench and the slider mechanism that holds the angle. Maybe more, I'm not totally up to speed on these things yet. I've seen at least one Emmert parts dealer on the web but haven't had a chance to check for what I need.
I don't want to brag, but some of my wood is on its 2nd or 3rd project!
Check out mprime.com which is a site devoted to all things emmerts. That should help you determine what type yours is and what parts you need. There should be a couple of links there to people who sell parts. There's also a member here (boatman53) who has had parts available in the past. HTH
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Dave, the same exact thing happened to me. A guy gave me a really nice Emmert that just had a little surface rust. Well I ended up taking the entire thing apart and sandblasting all the painted areas and completely referbishing it. The problem was it wouldn't fit my current bench so I opted for a new top. I just finished gluing my new bench top up and will be putting the Emmert on it sometime this week. Luckily I was able to just make a new top as my bench base is still good. The new top is a beast though and I have to cut out a big area underneath for the new vise. My bench top is 36"x 94" x 4" thick. It is quite heavy. Once I get everything cut out and the vise mounted I will post a few pictures. Here is a l shot of my bench after I first built it. It has a shorter thicker top on it now with a Record quick release vise. The top just wasn't long enough to have a vise on each end. I just couldn't give up my quick release vise. The new top will give me a little room to spare.

photo Workbench004-2.jpg
(08-27-2017, 02:45 PM)DaveLeard Wrote: I messed up and let somebody give me an Emmert Turtleback vise. Doggone it, I did not need anything else to do! Now I have to go googling and YouTubeing Emmert, figure out what's missing and locate what I need, and build another workbench.

Always thought I had another workbench in me. Think I have room. I've had my eye on the spot where I have an old table that catches all scraps from table sawing. That's needed to go for a while now!

Was always interested in the Emmert, but never thought I would own one. I went the cheap route and got a Wilton turrent vise only a couple years ago.

Please show me some pictures of workbenches with Emmerts. Comments on what I need to consider are also welcome. My favorite bench, the English bench, probably isn't going to cut it.

Missing from my freebie is the plate that attaches to the workbench and the slider mechanism that holds the angle. Maybe more, I'm not totally up to speed on these things yet. I've seen at least one Emmert parts dealer on the web but haven't had a chance to check for what I need.

Here's my bench with an Emmert on the side. I built the bench eight years ago and absolutely love the vise as I use it all the time. 

[Image: ctPGHib650UWkiYQdk0tx-PHPdoYFAcDaaHchQHq...Dn=s658-no]
I have an Emmert clone and mounted it on a spare bench which did not have a shoulder vise. It is really handy.

[Image: DSCN3233.jpg]

In this picture it is holding an Evaporust tank for rehabbing long plane bodies.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com