Bench Light Idea
Woodchukker,  Three thoughts to add...  none really consider the magnifier, if that is a requirement.

1)   I have resolved that bench lights are a great place for LED.  I am not a fan of the harsh, white light they yield.  But at the bench, it really works well.  I realize that can distort finish colors, etc..  But when you are trying to cut exactly to a faint line, it works great.  I also like that it's cool.  Sometimes I have been working near a lamp for a while and the heat of an incandescent or halon it too much.  LED is cool and bright.  It's also pretty energy efficient.
2)  The springs are set up for vertical orientation of many task lights to keep them from dropping down.  If you mount them from the ceiling, they will droop up. 
Smile   Be aware of the way the springs and gravity are arranged to keep it in place.  The flexible "gooseneck" lights would not have the same problem.
3)  If you can move the light from top down (for most tasks) to low angle / raking (for surface finishing) you get the benefits of all the right functions without always having the low light in the way.  I like it low when doing finish planning and scraping.  It's also nice to apply finish on a able or horses a bit away from the bench with the lights down low in the distance, reflecting off the surface.

I have two goose necks spring clamped to the ceiling/floor joists.  There is enough cord that I can bring them down to the bench when needed
(08-28-2017, 09:11 PM)BillMcD Wrote: Woodchukker,  Three thoughts to add...  none really consider the magnifier, if that is a requirement.

1)   I have resolved that bench lights are a great place for LED.  I am not a fan of the harsh, white light they yield.  But at the bench, it really works well.  I realize that can distort finish colors, etc..  But when you are trying to cut exactly to a faint line, it works great.  I also like that it's cool.  Sometimes I have been working near a lamp for a while and the heat of an incandescent or halon it too much.  LED is cool and bright.  It's also pretty energy efficient.
2)  The springs are set up for vertical orientation of many task lights to keep them from dropping down.  If you mount them from the ceiling, they will droop up. 
Smile   Be aware of the way the springs and gravity are arranged to keep it in place.  The flexible "gooseneck" lights would not have the same problem.
3)  If you can move the light from top down (for most tasks) to low angle / raking (for surface finishing) you get the benefits of all the right functions without always having the low light in the way.  I like it low when doing finish planning and scraping.  It's also nice to apply finish on a able or horses a bit away from the bench with the lights down low in the distance, reflecting off the surface.

I have two goose necks spring clamped to the ceiling/floor joists.  There is enough cord that I can bring them down to the bench when needed

Thanks Bill, really good advice.  I had not thought about the fact that the springs might work differently if mounted upside down.  I also like the idea of LED for the bench because of the fact that they are cool.  Goose neck lights seem like the best idea.  Any idea on where I can find extra long goose neck lamps?
You can observe a lot just by watching. YB
(08-30-2017, 10:35 PM)Woodchukker Wrote:  Any idea on where I can find extra long goose neck lamps?

Look here:

http://www.aventools.com/wp-content/uplo...re_Web.pdf

Scroll down to find long flexible arm task lights.

I have a flexible arm LED light that I rigged to a bracket that bolts down to my bench top using Lee Valley's Veritas Bench Anchors :

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.as...at=1,41637

It is easily moved to any dog hole on my bench top and quickly bolts down tight. The flexible arm allows me to focus the light anywhere I need it. It provides cool, clear light. My lamp is a from different manufacturer, but similar to the ones linked and a little less expensive. I also use an articulated arm lamp with Lee Valley's lamp bushing in my dog holes. I and am very satisfied with that arrangement. Like the bench anchor, the bushing can easily move to any dog hole on my bench to focus the light where I need it. I have several articulated arm lamps, including one with a magnifier, that work with the bushing.

UPDATE: The long, flexible neck LED light I use is an UberLight. Comes with a clamp base ($69) or a threaded stud ($59) at Amazon. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Reliable-UberLigh...uber+light
Years ago my grandfather had a 2-tube fluorescent light fixture over his workbench. He put eyebolts in holes on the centerline and hung the light on a cable stretched lengthwise above the bench. This allowed him to slide the light to where he was working but he could also push it to the opposite end when he wanted the angled light. If I was setting up a light over my bench today, I'd do the same thing but use an LED fixture instead of the fluorescents.
I have one of these... bounced off the (whiteish) ceiling.... https://www.festool.com/Products/Pages/P...-light-DUO

and a bunch of these.... https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B007NZ6...UTF8&psc=1

with quality (PHILIPS) LED bulbs... strategically placed.

When I switch on the lights.... the whole room is (mostly) shadow free.... and BRIGHT.... and the electricity meter is hardly moving.

-g-
I expect it's possible to find a ceiling mount surgical or dental light that could be adapted to take a magnifier.  They are always surplusing equipment like that because people want to stare into new equipment at their dentists office.
(08-27-2017, 06:14 PM)AHill Wrote: Lee Valley sells a lamp bushing that fits into the dog hole on your workbench.  You can then move a lamp (that they also sell) anywhere along your bench you need.  Most common desk lamps and magnifying lamps have a 1/2" post that fits into the bushing.

[Image: 05G4801s04.jpg]
[Image: 05G4801s03.jpg]

These work great. But now I need to fix the dang starter in my lamp...

And I also have a couple different LED headlamps that can be very helpful.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Man! This post reminds me so much of why I drag my work, everything, outdoors! Light only gets worse with age. The only indoor relief I have found is:

1. Keep the active work area out in the open where several light sources can cover it.
2. Provide work specific lights on flexible, mobile stanchions.
3. Keep backgrounds light colored. Generally.
4. Provide lots of overhead "natural" light.
5. Wait for the sun and nice weather.
6. All of the above.

Smirk
In addition to the 8 fluorescent lights on the garage ceiling, I have a 4 tube T12 4' fluorescent light over the bench that throws out a lot of light, from Home Depot.  Plus a couple of these Ikea Jansjo LED lights.  Cheap, simple, easy to move around - I use them more than I expected.  

I had a magnifier lamp, but it quit working and I haven't replaced it yet, might convert it from the round fluorescent tube to LED when I get some time.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
looks like there are circular led replacement tubes, anyone used one?