which edge plane? LN or LV
I want to get a pair of edge planes & considering either LN or LV. Anyone have an opinion of which? For those with the LN - how do you like the lever for blade advancement? anyone have the LV & opinion? Are the blade set screws handy?
Thanks
David
I can't speak directly to the comparison, but I own a Stanley original of what appears to be the LN design, and I don't like the lever - it runs out of travel and loses registration with the iron just as the iron is reaching the correct depth.  If I were buying new, I'd go with Lee Valley's redesign, with its wheel adjustment.
I have the LN version.  The LV version wasn't available when I got mine.  It works perfectly fine.  I don't recall ever losing registration when adjust the depth with mine.  If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with the LV version.  While bronze is nice, the LV version has some features not available on the LN version, like machinist corners (inside corner has a radius to prevent damaging the edge of the wood being planed), and the options for A2, O1, or PM-V11 blades.  Plus, you save a few bucks on the LV versions compared to LN.  If you hone a secondary bevel on your blade to increase the cutting angle to 60 deg (48 deg secondary bevel + 12 deg bed = 60 deg cutting angle)(sort of - the blade is skewed so your cutting angle is slightly less than the bevel angle on your blade), you won't need a LH and RH version. Only one will suffice.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I followed a GE Hong video...and made my own Edge Plane..

Traditional Chinese Edge plane...

Doesn't take all that long to make..

can be made in both left handed and right handed versions.   Iron is skewed.   Wedge directs the shavings out the side, almost like a spill plane..

Not all that hard to do...
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Thanks for the info.
Ahill - great , I'll just go for the rt hand plane & save a few more bucks. I appreciate the tip. I think I'm going for the LV .
Bandit571 - cool plane
(08-28-2017, 04:28 PM)DCM Wrote: I want to get a pair of edge planes & considering either LN or LV. Anyone have an opinion of which? For those with the LN - how do you like the lever for blade advancement? anyone have the LV & opinion? Are the blade set screws handy?
Thanks
David

I have both. I purchased the bronze LN pair about 15 years ago, rather than the LV, as LV only made one hand at that time. Left and right are needed to plane with the grain when used with low cutting angles. The LV was a gift, and I rather like this one better for its adjustments. The wheel of the LV is easier to use than the trigger of the LN. Nevertheless, both work as well as each other.

Incidentally Steven, I think you have posted a rebate plane. The edge plane looks like this ...

[Image: thumbnail%2Cw_500%2Ch_500%2Cm_a.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(08-28-2017, 04:28 PM)DCM Wrote: I want to get a pair of edge planes & considering either LN or LV. Anyone have an opinion of which? For those with the LN - how do you like the lever for blade advancement? anyone have the LV & opinion? Are the blade set screws handy?
Thanks
David

Own/use the LV planes.  Never experienced the LN.  Setting and maintaining blade exposure is precise, after allowing for backlash, as usual.  Set screws keep the blade from changing skew angle, therefore making exposure unequal, and the resulting edge angle other than desired.  Use 'em.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
It's sounds like either LN or LV will work well. The LV looks like the one I'll go for.
Derek & Michael - what is y'alls opinion of a pair or stick with one?
Thanks a bunch
David
David, I'm curious what you want these planes for. If you are simply trying to true up an edge, a regular bench plane will do the job just fine. I have an edge plane and find that I never use it. I wonder how many people who have an edge plane actually use them. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this plane is not essential.

John
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
(08-29-2017, 09:10 AM)John Clifford Wrote: David, I'm curious what you want these planes for. If you are simply trying to true up an edge, a regular bench plane will do the job just fine. I have an edge plane and find that I never use it.  I wonder how many people who have an edge plane actually use them.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that this plane is not essential.

John

Many people I know do not have the skill of truing an edge with a bench plane. At least not consistently. An edge plane does that job reliably and much quicker than anyone who can true an edge with a plane. So it is not an essential tool as you said but it is much a quicker tool if you edge a lot. The edge plane can also be used to cut certain edge chamfers evenly.

Simon