which edge plane? LN or LV
The edge planes are very useful for squaring up thin (e.g. 1/4") edges that cannot be taken to a shooting board, and that are too thin to control a hand plane on.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Hi John - what Simon said - I can do with a bench plane, but was thinking it would be nice to have a dedicated tool for this purpose & would be handy for smaller work like boxes and such + the ability to add custom chamfer. I would think it would be very easy to register on the work?
Oh yea , & LV has free shipping
Thanks
David
(08-29-2017, 10:07 AM)DCM Wrote: Hi John - what Simon said - I can do with a bench plane, but was thinking it would be nice to have a dedicated tool for this purpose & would be handy for smaller work like boxes and such + the ability to add custom chamfer. I would think it would be very easy to register on the work?
Oh yea , & LV  has free shipping
Thanks
David

Did you post trigger their free shipping event or just a coincidence? !

Big Grin
Big Grin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
I'm certainly not bashing the buying of tools. I love tools and have more than I really need. I was just offering an opposing opinion. It's a clever tool that can be useful, I just thought it was worth pointing out that it's not an essential tool to own. I remember when I was new to woodworking and every tool I read about seemed to be a must have item. Only with time, experience and educating myself did I learn what I really needed what was not necessary.

John
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
(08-29-2017, 08:28 AM)DCM Wrote: It's sounds like either LN or LV will work well. The LV looks like the one I'll go for.
Derek & Michael - what is y'alls opinion of a pair or stick with one?
Thanks a bunch
David

I like the pair - especially when they were "new" and on special.  Read the grain for climb and go with it, not against.  Even the low angle and the skew can't beat the surface left behind by planing with the climb, which means some real preselection or the other plane..
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(08-29-2017, 10:02 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: The edge planes are very useful for squaring up thin (e.g. 1/4") edges that cannot be taken to a shooting board, and that are too thin to control a hand plane on.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Perhaps I misunderstood your point. Why can't a shooting board handle a thin edge? We can place a thicker board on top, just shy of the edge to be planed.

Simon
For those who have a Veritas Custom plane, there is an adjustable angle plane fence that can be used with those planes. I use that fence for this purpose. I believe Veritas also has a plane fence that can be used with other planes besides theirs.
(08-29-2017, 11:18 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Perhaps I misunderstood your point. Why can't a shooting board handle a thin edge? We can place a thicker board on top, just shy of the edge to be planed.

Simon

I know one person who uses the Stanley 95 edge trimming block plane (http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan11.htm#num95) when they saw apart a small decorative box to separate the lid. They use the plane to true things up, nice and pretty.

Usually small stock and not something easily done on a shooting board.  Still some degree of skill required so that you don't end up spiraling your way around the perimeter of the box making opposite corners wonky.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(08-29-2017, 11:18 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Perhaps I misunderstood your point. Why can't a shooting board handle a thin edge? We can place a thicker board on top, just shy of the edge to be planed.

Simon

When the board in question is too long, too wide, or attached to another board.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I have one of each, LH from one RH from the other. I find them very useful for ensuring square edges on narrow stock (my drawer sides and backs, generally 1/2", for example).

Of the two makers, I much prefer the LV model-slightly larger feels better in the hand, plus the set screws captures blade settings nicely. The PM-V11 blade lasts and lasts.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com