which edge plane? LN or LV
I'm going for the LV pair & the free shipping is very timely!
Thanks to all for the advise & info
David
Have the LV pair. Perfect for cleaning up bandsawn edges.
Ag
(08-29-2017, 09:10 AM)John Clifford Wrote: David, I'm curious what you want these planes for. If you are simply trying to true up an edge, a regular bench plane will do the job just fine. I have an edge plane and find that I never use it.  I wonder how many people who have an edge plane actually use them.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that this plane is not essential.

John

I do not know about useful but you got me to thinking.

Why not a shoulder plane?  For the Christmas swap I received one and it works pretty good to me and tried the shoulder plane as well and since I am NOT a pro nor even a good Beginner I can not say what is best.

If it was my money to spend I would always go with Lee Valley since they are the best in the business with customer satisfaction.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Just got the left hand version of this tool from LV as I already had the right hand tool and found that I really liked it and was finding uses for it often enough to get both and handle grain reversals.

The LV edge trimming planes may not be as pretty as the LN bronze versions.....but the adjustment wheel and those handy side set screws make the LV more user friendly, imho.

Having both of these planes opens another question for me which is.....are people also finding a need for both L & R plow planes and skew rabbet planes??
(09-09-2017, 05:05 PM)rlance Wrote: Just got the left hand version of this tool from LV as I already had the right hand tool and found that I really liked it and was finding uses for it often enough to get both and handle grain reversals.

The LV edge trimming planes may not be as pretty as the LN bronze versions.....but the adjustment wheel and those handy side set screws make the LV more user friendly, imho.

Having both of these planes opens another question for me which is.....are people also finding a need for both L & R plow planes and skew rabbet planes??

Probably not for plow and rabbet, as those surfaces are usually hidden whereas the edge planes are mostly show edges.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-09-2017, 05:12 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Probably not for plow and rabbet, as those surfaces are usually hidden whereas the edge planes are mostly show edges.

Thanks Tony for your response.....I've asked similar question before in other ww forums and never really got a clear answer. As someone pointed out.....not all hand tools are essential.....and I think I will be able to answer my own question in time after making more things in the shop and knowing/experiencing whether or not I need left hand versions of the plough or skew rabbet.
(09-09-2017, 05:05 PM)rlance Wrote: Having both of these planes opens another question for me which is.....are people also finding a need for both L & R plow planes and skew rabbet planes??
I have both in right handed versions and they perform satisfactorily with and against the grain if you keep them sharp.  My view is you buy the one for your dominant hand you are good to go with both; in fact, when the LV skew rabbet first came out I bought both for the intro price and split the order with a southpaw, so we were both happy.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I'm left-handed, but I'm so used to using fenced planes right-handed that I think I might find a leftie plane awkward.
(09-11-2017, 02:13 PM)rlance Wrote: Thanks Tony for your response.....I've asked similar question before in other ww forums and never really got a clear answer. As someone pointed out.....not all hand tools are essential.....and I think I will be able to answer my own question in time after making more things in the shop and knowing/experiencing whether or not I need left hand versions of the plough or skew rabbet.

I'm not sure how outfitted you are with hand planes, but you may want to pick up a book, such Volume 1 of the Lost Arts reprint of Charles Hayward works, or Swartz's "Anarchist Toolbox" (or similar name-just go to the Lost Arts website).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I'm with John Clifford on this one.  Can't think of an instance when I wished I had one.  In fact, I did have one that I found at a sale and eventually sold it off.