Is making "V" board feasible?
I'm in a spot with a project & need some "V" board. I've never worked with it, or been around it, only seen it. I'm working on a project for a customer that they want as rustic as possible. No doubt, what I'm looking for will be near impossible to locate, so, my next solution is to create it. What router bit(s) would I need to do such an undertaking? Or is it even possible? The one benefit is it's not going to have be a large amount. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. thank you. Brad.
Sawdust703
Smile

head sawdust maker
Raised
(08-29-2017, 02:29 AM)sawdust703 Wrote: I'm in a spot with a project & need some "V" board. I've never worked with it, or been around it, only seen it. I'm working on a project for a customer that they want as rustic as possible. No doubt, what I'm looking for will be near impossible to locate, so, my next solution is to create it. What router bit(s) would I need to do such an undertaking? Or is it even possible? The one benefit is it's not going to have be a large amount. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. thank you. Brad.

Are you talking about car siding?
[Image: 1411274.jpg]
I think for what you are talking about you need a router bit set like this one.

https://www.holbren.com/Whiteside_Machine_3374
Here is another set for different size boards. https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite...roove.html  The center V groove is just routed out with a standard V bit, at least this is the way I always heard it being made. I have never made it myself.
Earl
I appreciate the replies.
Smile But tongue & groove isn't what I'm looking for. I done some more research, & found that hd does sell v board panels. Which in turn gave me more insight to what I was looking for.
Confused Basically all it is, is panels with shallow "v's" cut in them. Fortunately I don't have much to make, but it's what I need. I don't it's goin' to be to difficult to make.  thank you again for your replies. Brad.
Sawdust703
Smile

head sawdust maker
Raised
(08-29-2017, 07:50 PM)sawdust703 Wrote: I appreciate the replies.
Smile But tongue & groove isn't what I'm looking for. I done some more research, & found that hd does sell v board panels. Which in turn gave me more insight to what I was looking for.
Confused Basically all it is, is panels with shallow "v's" cut in them. Fortunately I don't have much to make, but it's what I need. I don't it's goin' to be to difficult to make.  thank you again for your replies. Brad.

OK, now I understand what you need.

I've done this 2 ways.  First way is with a V-groove router bit and straight guide.  Clamp the guide, run the groove, move the guide over, repeat.

The other way and my preferred way is on the tablesaw--depending on how deep/wide you need the groove.  I tilt the blade to 45deg, set the fence, and run the board over the blade.  Reset the fence, run the groove, repeat.  I suppose if you needed a wider V-groove, you could use a dado blade.
that would work, too. I've got short runs to make, so I think the router & v bit would be the better way. I appreciate your reply.
Sawdust703
Smile

head sawdust maker
Raised
(08-29-2017, 07:50 PM)sawdust703 Wrote: I appreciate the replies.
Confused Basically all it is, is panels with shallow "v's" cut in them. Fortunately I don't have much to make, but it's what I need. I don't it's goin' to be to difficult to make.  thank you again for your replies. Brad

Either a V groove router bit or a V groove endmill. They are essentially the same type cutter. If you opt for an endmill, make sure the shank is either 1/4" or 1/2" to fit most routers. 
mike
Are you talking about something like this look?

[Image: Carsiding.jpeg.3393b6c71215f52be9bfb5e3aceb41cb.jpeg]

If so you are talking about T&G "Car siding" got it's name because it was used as siding in railroad cars. Many liked the look, and wanted to use it in their home.

[Image: 1411274.jpg]

Making car siding using a router bit only does the V's, you still need the chamfered edge tongue and grooves to lock the pieces together without unsightly gaps between pieces. You can find it in a number of widths, and with double, and even triple V's. It's all about the look you want to achieve these days. What is pictured is actual car siding, which has a single centered groove, is usually near 3/4" thick, and 8" wide. If you have a Menards, they offer about 4 looks, but they are scattered through the store.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW