Slot cutting splinter free
I will soon be cutting slots in 1/2" or 3/4" wood for moulding in a 9 lite cabinet door. This slot will show as a predominate feature. This is not a slot for panels or glass. it will face outward for the viewer to see. It must be crisp and splinter free. I will use a router. I see slot cutter bits and upward and downcutting spiral bits. Which is best? Which bit maker do you like?
(08-29-2017, 04:45 PM)moses1945 Wrote: I will soon be cutting slots in 1/2" or 3/4" wood for moulding in a 9 lite cabinet door. This slot will show as a predominate feature. This is not a slot for panels or glass. it will face outward for the viewer to see. It must be crisp and splinter free. I will use a router. I see slot cutter bits and upward and downcutting spiral bits. Which is best? Which bit maker do you like?

How wide are the slots? Are they going to be on the front surface? How far from the edge? If so, they might be difficult to cut with a slot cutter in a router. And upcut spiral might be the choice but it depends upon the profile of the grooves.
It will be for a bathroom sink cabinet door(s). Moulding will be 1/2  to 3/4 square. Slots will be from 1/8 to 1/4 wide, centered and approx. 1/4 deep.  They will be facing the viewer. I have not drawn plans yet. I need to establish the best method to get clean, crisp slots. This is all I need to know right now. Thanks.
(08-29-2017, 05:11 PM)moses1945 Wrote: It will be for a bathroom sink cabinet door(s). Moulding will be 1/2  to 3/4 square. Slots will be from 1/8 to 1/4 wide, centered and approx. 1/4 deep.  They will be facing the viewer. I have not drawn plans yet. I need to establish the best method to get clean, crisp slots. This is all I need to know right now. Thanks.

It would be nice to see even a simple sketch of what you have in mind to help you sort out the best way to make it.
I think you would have better luck with a slot cutter than with a spiral bit. I've cut a lot of slots with slot cutters and I find them fast and accurate. I don't ever recall one splintering the work. Spiral bits are good, too, but slot cutters cut much easier and faster.
A downcut spiral bit certainly laves a very clean, fuzz free cut. I'm not sure I've seen one in 1/8" size....they may exist, but I'll bet they aren't common. I'd check Whiteside, they seem to have a broader selection of bits than anyone else, ansd their quality can't be beat..
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-30-2017, 08:31 AM)fredhargis Wrote: A downcut spiral bit certainly laves a very clean, fuzz free cut. I'm not sure I've seen one in 1/8" size....they may exist, but I'll bet they aren't common. I'd check Whiteside, they seem to have a broader selection of bits than anyone else, ansd their quality can't be beat..

They are available.  I have a couple.  Whiteside has them, and probably other companies also.   Just be careful with sideways pressure so the bit doesn't snap.
(08-29-2017, 04:45 PM)moses1945 Wrote: I will soon be cutting slots in 1/2" or 3/4" wood for moulding in a 9 lite cabinet door. This slot will show as a predominate feature. This is not a slot for panels or glass. it will face outward for the viewer to see. It must be crisp and splinter free. I will use a router. I see slot cutter bits and upward and downcutting spiral bits. Which is best? Which bit maker do you like?

I have a whole bunch of spiral down cut 1/8" bits. If you want me to send you a couple shoot me a PM and I will drop a few in the mail. The other option I would suggest which will be faster is to use a high quality table saw blade along with a zero clearance insert and cut the slots on the table saw. If you apply some blue tape over the area to be cut this will add another layer of protection from tear out.
Run a strip of blue painters tape across the edge, then route your slot.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Downcut spiral bit works.

If using a slot cutter if you scribe well before cutting and this also works.  With the slot cutter the key is making multiple passes.