The Master and the Apprentice 1: Look Who’s Talking (article)
Forever Young, Dan. Forever young.
(09-07-2017, 11:50 AM)Dan Moening Wrote: JQuaker ... I mean no offense to you personally. This is simply a pet peeve of mine.

For me, I come to this site to read and learn about woodworking. Yes even the esoteric and philosophical aspects of it.
My personal expectation is that the contributing members will share that information on this site in a post; not in a link to their thoughts elsewhere.

When I open a post and find little more than a link I feel cheated. It feels like I am being used to increase hits to a site I wouldn't ordinarily access.
It is, for me, a minor annoyance and can easily enough ignore the post and/or link.

Now, if there were a few project pictures, or a paragraph of questions/discussion and then a link to further investigate I'd feel a bit different about it.

It's likely that my demographic has aged beyond today's way of communicating.

Wink

Most of the posts of nothing more than a link to elsewhere I've seen are a response to someone looking for something and a post of a link to where that something can be found.  If you found that objectionable, I'm sorry for the several times I've done just that to you.  On the other hand, if my link post is a direct response to someone's need, I consider that a useful contribution. I must say I don't understand why I need to post some pictures to make my post more valid.  

If you object to a post of a link to an instagram account, just don't click on it and move on.  Just don't get all bitchy when you find out about all the great content you're missing out there.

If you object to what someone has posted on his instagram account, you haven't said so.  Sadly, the internet doesn't have an editor and there is lot of stuff out there that you might not want.

A link to instagram is most often used because that site is a far more congenial and multipurpose site to host photos for a lot of folks.  I don't see that as a problem and I don't think we need to clog the intertubes with duplicating materials on multiple sites.  Our forum is great, but it does come with several limiting constraints on photo content.

I don't know about your demographic, but at 75, I'm just fine with it.  I'll grant you it does need a better path to good writing.  No Shakespeare has arisen on social media so far (except in quotations).  But some good wit has come along at times.  I like to pretend that some of it is mine.  
Rolleyes
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
Incidentally, how does one access Instagram? More specifically, how does one look up the photos of Mr Quacker? Does one have to be a member of Instagram? Mr Quacker does not provide links to his images there (or none that I can find). My curiosity is piqued and I do want to know what he referred to earlier on. (Why does one not have photos - even links - on one's own blog?). 

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Hey Derek, there's a little "Instagram bug" on the bottom of the sidebar of my site. Generally, Instagram the app is used, but you can access it at the link below as well.

https://www.instagram.com/quackenbushww/

Generally I use it solely for woodworking & tool restoration, the latest few are related to some costuming I did related to a wooden sword modification. If you're a Game of Thrones fan, I dressed as Jon Snow. Perhaps some will find it childish, but some of my favorites from the event were a Han Solo and Indiana Jones both done by a couple of guys in probably their 60s.
Freelance Animator & Motion Artist, JQuack Design
Quackenbush Woodworks
Personally JQuacker I find your stuff quite interesting and I actually like your site, it's well organized decently ad free and uncluttered. Just because people can't get with the times and click a link doesn't mean you should stop posting, and anyone complaining that your site is social media might want to check and see what exactly a forum falls under in internet categories.

I like what you post please don't get discouraged by the few as I'm sure I'm not in the minority, and even if I am no one is forcing them to open your post.
Thanks; not discouraged at all. I love the mix of people and feedback. Some of it was related to lack of clarity in my article, so that's useful in improving my work.

The toughest part is the same for anyone putting out content: putting it out consistently and having good topics.
Freelance Animator & Motion Artist, JQuack Design
Quackenbush Woodworks
I can see where, if one is a member of several forums, how providing a link to your one blog or whatever about a particular project is useful.  Derek Cohen is one who takes the time to posts his projects, but also provides links to more details on his website.  I can attest that posting blow-by-blow accounts of a project is time consuming.  I posted a detailed account of replacing my cutterhead on my lunchbox planer with a shelix head, and it probably took me 3-4 hours just editing photos, posting them to a hosting site, then pasting in the links in my post.  (And now the pics are all dead - Thank you Photobucket!) Doing it on several sites can even be more daunting.  So, I don't fault folks like JQuacker for teasing us then providing a link.  I'm betting he's also a member of other woodworking forums.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(09-12-2017, 09:56 AM)AHill Wrote: I can see where, if one is a member of several forums, how providing a link to your one blog or whatever about a particular project is useful.  Derek Cohen is one who takes the time to posts his projects, but also provides links to more details on his website.  I can attest that posting blow-by-blow accounts of a project is time consuming.  I posted a detailed account of replacing my cutterhead on my lunchbox planer with a shelix head, and it probably took me 3-4 hours just editing photos, posting them to a hosting site, then pasting in the links in my post.  (And now the pics are all dead - Thank you Photobucket!) Doing it on several sites can even be more daunting.  So, I don't fault folks like JQuacker for teasing us then providing a link.  I'm betting he's also a member of other woodworking forums.
Hello Allan;

I confess that I rarely post my own threads for this reason, including the problems with p-bucket over the years...  Now that the forum makes it easier to post pics directly, I should be jumping in with both feet. But there is just not enough time in the day anymore. I'm glad to have work at this age!  Also, I get tired much quicker too... even just working on the computer all day. It feels kind of odd to be reaching my peak late in life.... Not much time for woodworking either... Someday I'll be back... with pics.
Skip

(09-12-2017, 05:44 AM)JQuacker Wrote: Thanks; not discouraged at all. I love the mix of people and feedback. Some of it was related to lack of clarity in my article, so that's useful in improving my work.

The toughest part is the same for anyone putting out content: putting it out consistently and having good topics.

So Jordan, you have your pics already... you can take the next step and post them in a build-along or tool rehab thread.... in your own (thread) here...
Skip