The Master and the Apprentice 1: Look Who’s Talking (article)
Derek, you read my mind.
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
(09-01-2017, 06:25 AM)JQuacker Wrote: Do I? Yes. Have I made but a couple of pieces? Not yet. It's why I haven't opened my mouth about furniture-building techniques or how-to's.

My Instagram is my most updated media channel, for what it's worth.

This is what I meant about diving into the deep end..... good luck....
Skip

(09-01-2017, 09:26 AM)Skip J. Wrote: This is what I meant about diving into the deep end..... good luck....

Ha ha, yes, lots of talented people here who politely ask sometimes pointed questions, but when one dives into what's called "social media" that's the risk you take. With the exception of SawStop threads and some longstanding grudge matches among certain members (and if we exclude the "swamp" of the basement), Woodnet discussions are among the most civil on the net, in my experience (other forums, like SMC, have so many rules to compel civility that IMHO honest discussion can be stifled).  On the other hand, intellectual perspective from those just getting their feet wet, rhetorically speaking, is also valuable as it may stimulate thought and reflection for those who have been at this a while, and may cause some to move in a different direction with their work.  So I say to Jordan, keep with it here and use the members' quite knowledgeable experience to broaden your work whilst perhaps provoking thought for the rest of us.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Quote:On the other hand, intellectual perspective from those just getting their feet wet, rhetorically speaking, is also valuable as it may stimulate thought and reflection for those who have been at this a while, and may cause some to move in a different direction with their work.

Perhaps ... but, intellectual conversation on this forum is one thing.
Being driven to view the conversation on social media reeks of click-bait, PPC, ad revenue generation that I believe Skip was implying about diving into the deep end.

I am thankful that the titles of his threads include "Article" so that I may easily identify them.
~Dan.
(09-01-2017, 12:37 PM)Dan Moening Wrote: Perhaps ... but, intellectual conversation on this forum is one thing.
Being driven to view the conversation on social media reeks of click-bait, PPC, ad revenue generation that I believe Skip was implying about diving into the deep end.

Yes!

Jordan is a brave soul to tackle these subjects, and especially this particular subject. I hope he has a thick - very thick - skin...

Still, it is driving this discussion now and has merit for that....  I'm waiting for Warren to say his 2 cents worth..

Chris S. said just a few weeks ago that he did not claim to be a master furniture builder, that he had a master's in Journalism and that his expertise was in journalism.  I think he can claim some success at that...  Personally, if he had not published Woodworking all those years ago, I would not have added handtools to my work.  That's my 2 cents worth..
Skip

Speaking of Chris S., whether or not he is a master furniture builder, he IS a professional furniture builder. I don't know what percentage of his income is derived from selling his furniture but he does earn some income from making furniture for sale which is more than most of us can claim. I also understand that he has multiple repeat customers which would indicate that those customers think highly enough of his work as to commission more of it. I know he takes a lot of abuse on the "interwebs" which makes me scratch my head. IMO he was a very positive influence on hobbyist woodworking when he was with the magazine and I think he's having an even deeper influence now that he's publishing so many great books on the subject we all love. Master or not he's good for our hobby and for those that don't know him, he's a hell of a nice guy on top of that.

Just my .02,
John
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
(09-01-2017, 12:37 PM)Dan Moening Wrote: Perhaps ... but, intellectual conversation on this forum is one thing.

I am thankful that the titles of his threads include "Article" so that I may easily identify them.

(09-01-2017, 09:51 AM)Admiral Wrote: Ha ha, yes, lots of talented people here who politely ask sometimes pointed questions, but when one dives into what's called "social media" that's the risk you take. With the exception of SawStop threads and some longstanding grudge matches among certain members (and if we exclude the "swamp" of the basement), Woodnet discussions are among the most civil on the net, in my experience (other forums, like SMC, have so many rules to compel civility that IMHO honest discussion can be stifled).  On the other hand, intellectual perspective from those just getting their feet wet, rhetorically speaking, is also valuable as it may stimulate thought and reflection for those who have been at this a while, and may cause some to move in a different direction with their work.  So I say to Jordan, keep with it here and use the members' quite knowledgeable experience to broaden your work whilst perhaps provoking thought for the rest of us.

So perhaps I'm misunderstanding - is the issue that I'm directing people to my website? Or that I don't have a catalog of furniture on my website but it's on another channel that happens to be social media (Instagram)? I just want to make sure I'm not misinterpreting. Dan/Skip, are you calling the website/blog social media?

Just on the curious as I want to ensure I'm not provoking ire or annoyance, but provoking thoughts & valuable conversation. It's tough to word this where it doesn't sound defensive, so I hope that intent comes through. I solely seek clarity.

Appreciate the commentary! The next article (this Wed) will address some of the conversation and misconceptions that's arisen from the first due to my lack of clarity in the article, before moving into the "meat."
(09-04-2017, 07:46 PM)JQuacker Wrote: So perhaps I'm misunderstanding - is the issue that I'm directing people to my website? Or that I don't have a catalog of furniture on my website but it's on another channel that happens to be social media (Instagram)? I just want to make sure I'm not misinterpreting. Dan/Skip, are you calling the website/blog social media?

Just on the curious as I want to ensure I'm not provoking ire or annoyance, but provoking thoughts & valuable conversation. It's tough to word this where it doesn't sound defensive, so I hope that intent comes through. I solely seek clarity.

Appreciate the commentary! The next article (this Wed) will address some of the conversation and misconceptions that's arisen from the first due to my lack of clarity in the article, before moving into the "meat."

Ummm, well this is what I meant about you being brave and diving into the deep end.  I personally don't have a problem with you posting your article on your website/blog and then "soliciting" readership here. But, using us for "soliciting" for any purpose will resurrect old issues that lie under the surface for a LOT of us...  What some would say about you assuming that you could instruct us would not be printable...  Again, not me.

You asked, which is the best way for you to proceed, kudos to you!  As an example, your interview was excellent and there was no inferred expertise on your part.  It's that "inferring" an expertise that you do not actually have - read Derek's post again - that can be objectionable. Most of the acknowledged experts on building and/or using moulding planes congregate here and will read what you said... so "peer" review can be of the highest order of "peers".

Personally, I and others salute your willingness to give it a try and see what happens.... but....
Skip

Thanks for the clarity Skip; I appreciate it!
Quote:So perhaps I'm misunderstanding - is the issue that I'm directing people to my website? Or that I don't have a catalog of furniture on my website but it's on another channel that happens to be social media (Instagram)? I just want to make sure I'm not misinterpreting. Dan/Skip, are you calling the website/blog social media?

JQuaker ... I mean no offense to you personally. This is simply a pet peeve of mine.

For me, I come to this site to read and learn about woodworking. Yes even the esoteric and philosophical aspects of it.
My personal expectation is that the contributing members will share that information on this site in a post; not in a link to their thoughts elsewhere.

When I open a post and find little more than a link I feel cheated. It feels like I am being used to increase hits to a site I wouldn't ordinarily access.
It is, for me, a minor annoyance and can easily enough ignore the post and/or link.

Now, if there were a few project pictures, or a paragraph of questions/discussion and then a link to further investigate I'd feel a bit different about it.

It's likely that my demographic has aged beyond today's way of communicating.

Wink
~Dan.