gallery commissions
A close friend has landed space in an art gallery/wine tasting/seller. He has to supply his own displays and has to keep check on the stocking. They are hitting him for 40% commission on his product. Is this reasonable or over priced?  He does good work and is very creative in his turnings. The gallery is on the west side of Chicago towards Naperville. I told him to take pics and get a signature for everything he takes there.

Thanks.
(08-30-2017, 10:03 PM)gear jammer Wrote: A close friend has landed space in an art gallery/wine tasting/seller. He has to supply his own displays and has to keep check on the stocking. They are hitting him for 40% commission on his product. Is this reasonable or over priced?  He does good work and is very creative in his turnings. The gallery is on the west side of Chicago towards Naperville. I told him to take pics and get a signature for everything he takes there.

Thanks.

I have a number of pieces in a Gallery not far from where I live and the commissions 40% but they are totally responsible for my consigned pieces. We both have a detailed list of each piece and its updated to reflect a sale and redistributed to Me when items have sold.
He needs the same especially  a record and insurance coverage provide by the gallery.
Just my experience,
Tim
(08-30-2017, 10:03 PM)gear jammer Wrote: A close friend has landed space in an art gallery/wine tasting/seller. He has to supply his own displays and has to keep check on the stocking. They are hitting him for 40% commission on his product. Is this reasonable or over priced?  He does good work and is very creative in his turnings. The gallery is on the west side of Chicago towards Naperville. I told him to take pics and get a signature for everything he takes there.

Thanks.

Gallery's always charge a LOT more then a normal person will charge but they are supposed to display it right and help with the selling and the book work.  Just make sure he gets the amount of money he wants even after the 40%.  I was selling mine at a local mom and pop store that was charging 35% and how they did the work they should have charged 5%
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
My wife's cousin does drone photography and the galleries in Rockport Ma want 60% so your getting a bargain. If you can sell a few pieces it may be worth it.
Don
40% is about the norm, some are at keystone or 50%. One thing to remember is not to undersell the gallery outside of the gallery. If a gallery piece is selling at $200, similar pieces at a craft show should be sold at the same price.
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

Thanks for the good information. I have already passed it along.
The galleries I'm in charge 50%.  Some things to consider on deciding if a commission is fare.

1) Is it a high end gallery? Are the works on display from nationally known artists or is it more of a craft type gallery?
2) Does it have some type of web presence?
3) Do they have the means to deal with international transactions and shipping?
4) Is the gallery in a heavy traffic area? art district etc.
5) Can they get a price that seems fare and actually sell some pieces?

Acceptable answers will be different for everyone.  It's already been said but it bares repeating. Never ever undersell your galleries at shows or online AND if you get a commission through the gallery make sure they get the proper cut.  Work with the gallery owners, it should be a partnership. They know their clientele better than you and what the market will bare.
I have some stuff in a 25% gallery, other things at 40% in a different one.  The way I look at it is that I am not roasting in 90F/75RH booth killing a whole day with zero sales.   Works for me.
For Hawaii:
Big Island 50 - 60%
Maui 60 - 70%
Oahu 65 -  70%
Kauai 50 - 70%
These are gallery commissions.
We are now selling pieces directly to galleries so a lot of our stuff is non-consignment which we really like.
What's funny is even at these high rates, we get a LOT more for our pieces than we ever got in Kansas City.
The market here is so much different with entire U.S. and international clients. Our work is all over the world now.
VH07V  
I get charged 30% at a small gallery here in Des Moines