Arm-r-seal vs gel top coat
I am making a set of two end tables and coffee table out of cherry. For finishing I'm considering either general finishes arm-r-seal or their gel topcoat. I would appreciate some advice on which of these has better durability and which is easier to apply. I don't want to have to worry about somebody putting a drink directly on the table top. In the past I've always used oil based varnish that I brushed on. So I'd like to try wipe on varnish but I want the same level of protection.
You can observe a lot just by watching. YB
(09-02-2017, 07:31 AM)Woodchukker Wrote: I am making a set of two end tables and coffee table out of cherry.  For finishing I'm considering either general finishes arm-r-seal or their gel topcoat. I would appreciate some advice on which of these has better durability and which is easier to apply.  I don't want to have to worry about somebody putting a drink directly on the table top.  In the past I've always used oil based varnish that I brushed on. So I'd like to try wipe on varnish but I want the same level of protection.

Gel varnish will not soak in / penetrate as much as brush on or wipe on.

ARS is a wipe on varnish.   You will get less build up per coat because it's thinned, but if you simply add more coats you will get the same dry film thickness.
Arm R Seal is FAR more durable than GF'S gel topcoat. The Gel Topcoat is easily damaged by water. I would not use it on any surface that will have wet glasses placed on it. Arm R Seal will withstand most anything you throw at it. Easy choice for me.

John