Cherry scraps, Project start up
Had a boat load of cut-offs and such from the last three projects.....sorted through the mess. and found a few Cherry scraps
Cool 

Parts of 1 x 6 Flame Cherry boards....Used the "NEW" Stanley No.4 to clean up the faces, to see what was there
Winkgrin  

Not too bad?   There was a few "bad" spots..
Uhoh  

The plane just went right  over this spot, no problems...
Winkgrin  

This is the same plane I had rehabbed from the Tractor Fest...
Raised  

This is the shavings it was making...no tear out, no chatter ( must have done something right?)

Plan ( Plan?
Uhoh  Plan?
Raised ) right now is to joint the edges, so they are square to the faces.   Then a re-saw, to get to 3/8" -1/2" thick slabs.

Then see about a box build.....
Confused  trying to use the best sides of each board.   Not sure about that shorter board, or that big, bad spot...

Stay tuned....
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Tried a bit last night( Monday?
No
Uhoh ) to get a start on things...

Got all of these to almost the same width, meh.....and made sure the edges, most of them, were square to the best face...

Made a jig..
Rolleyes  

And made sure the table was 90 degrees to the blade..and the edge of the jig...clamped it down....

About 1/2" from the blade....and made a few cuts....
Uhoh  

Should have stopped here....but, went ahead and did all the boards.....had trouble with two, as they were a tad cupped. 

Then got the idea to hand plane the thicker sides flat......after two boards....I gave up....chest was hurting way too much, BP was soaring...I swept the floor and closed the shop.   Teach me to work on Mondays....

Had a chance to sleep on things....LONG night...or, good meds
Raised
Rolleyes   Plan got altered a bit....Thin panels will get surrounded by a walnut frame.   May even have feet to hold the box up a bit.   Lid MIGHT be a Maple?   Box bottom will still be Poplar.    There MIGHT even be a tray made?
Confused   Maybe?
Cool 

Stay tuned, I worked a little while today ( VERY little
Winkgrin )  so I need ti upload a few pictures from the camera....Later, Gators...
Laugh
Got  this set up on the bench.....more room to cut longer planks, that way..

The backsaw I picked up over the weekend?   didn't work.   Oh, it fit fine, and was the correct length and all....but there was zero set in the teeth....got out the "old" 4 x 24 and got ready to cut some walnut!
Winkgrin  

The 1 x 4 x7'  had a stretch like this.   task was to cut out the nasty areas..

And have enough "good sections"  to be of use.  
Rolleyes 
I was able to get a few good ones to match the (now) Cherry panels..

Finally, marked a straight line along the edges, as these were curved quite a bit.   Bandsaw needed a pulley's set screw cranked TIGHT, then it would run well enough to trim off the excess stuff....soon had them all trimmed up..

Bod was hurting, again....
Uhoh
Angry time to quit for the day.  
Yes   Jointer work tomorrow, and maybe a little work for the Stanley#45? 

Corners will be a T&G glue up....might even try to get the grain to go around the corners.
Confused   Cherry panels will sit in grooves, may leave the flat?
Confused We'll see.....no longer "pushing things"....hurts too much.
No   Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Hope you get better soon, Steve.  Now, you aren't playing chicken with a recent open heart surgery, are you? That sort of crap can drag out healing for years. I have a friend who does stupid stuff 2 weeks after. I am pretty certain surgeons make that an excuse to go back in and tap a few ribs, break a few, just to teach unruly patients to follow orders. Enough nagging.

Why use that pointy guide on the band saw? I just find the drift and line up a tall fence.
Quad bypass in July 2011.....meds needed adjustments..

Pointy thing is because the grain I am going through wants to change where the blade will go.   I can "steer"  a bit better  with that edge.
Glued up side #1 this morning, waiting on the cable installer to get me back on line.....
Angry  

Then I beveled a few edges...

Dry fit...

Made a couple ends...

And finally, after fighting a few clamps....
Upset

Side #2 is glued up.    Had to go with the pipe clamp.....swivel end on the F style clamp would not stay put,
Upset almost went into the trash can.

Got started on one of the ends.....and then just called it a day.

Have had to also chase another Bat out of the house!  Mrs. Shop Cat finally "dispatched it", so I could toss it out the door.
Big eek

Stay tuned...to this "Bat Channel?"
(09-06-2017, 04:36 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Glued up side #1 this morning, waiting on the cable installer to get me back on line.....
Angry  

Then I beveled a few edges...

Dry fit...

Made a couple ends...

And finally, after fighting a few clamps....
Upset

Side #2 is glued up.    Had to go with the pipe clamp.....swivel end on the F style clamp would not stay put,
Upset almost went into the trash can.

Got started on one of the ends.....and then just called it a day.

Have had to also chase another Bat out of the house!  Mrs. Shop Cat finally "dispatched it", so I could toss it out the door.
Big eek

Stay tuned...to this "Bat Channel?"

You did a great job on that panel.  I like it a lot.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Hmmmm, yesterday, both sides came out of the clamps...

Side No.1...

And side #2..
Today. I clamped these two together, and planed the top edges and the ends so that everything matches...

Made a few more "stiles"

Needed four of these.    There are too small to be in the vise, and have the Stanley 45 mill the groove.   I had a couple wider boards, I could mill the grooves first, cut out a part, and mill another groove.  I also needed rails done the same way...

The resaws were done on the bandsaw, then a fresh edge was hand planed before the 45 went to grooving along.  Tenons were laid out. 

The shoulder cuts for those tenons were done on a mitre saw...

A "cordless" one
Yes  at that.   Cheek cuts were at the bandsaw.  Foot details were sawn with the bandsaw.   Stiles and rails were done

Now for the next episode?  Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
Ok, next up
Confused 

Needed two panels cut to length.   Then the edges jointed until they matched each other.  Both also needed planed to get them close to flat...then I marked a "stop line" 20mm in from an edge, and planed a bevel..

Each panel  was beveled on all four edges, for a raised panel look.   Stanley No. 4 did most of the work.   Made sure the grooves would fit the beveled edges...

Stiles needed to be checked  that they matched the existing stiles..

Had ONE
Angry  that needed trimmed a bit.   Assembled things for a dry fit...

This is the second one...first one is sitting all glued up..
Cool

I also decided to hone the cutters, for the next steps...

A #11 plough ( 3/16") and a #6 match cutter.  It will leave a 3/16" wide tongue.   Had to check the depth stop, to make sure it was too deep. 

Busy afternoon.
Rolleyes   Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
Stanley #45 #6 "Match" cutter...

Then the #11 groove cutter to make a matching groove..

Test fit..

Had to adjust the depth of cut....
Then  a forest of clamps and a bit of Elmer's.. 

One of the clamps at a diagonal, to pull things into square..

Will let this mess sit awhile...need to figure out a lid/top for it, next.....
Stay tuned...
Winkgrin