Woodwright -- new Roman Bench episode
Hi,

My area PBS station started some new content on the weekend, and the C. Schwarz visit to Underhill's show was aired.  I liked it.

I had built a bench in 2007.  Around 2011 I got a C.S. book on workbenches which almost guilted me into making a new bench.  The other thing I recalled about the book was an exhaustive listing of ways to do wood working operations with combinations of stops and gadgets.

So, this 2017 show-airing on Roman benches was kind of refreshing for me.  The benches were not fancy but a lot could be done on them; sort of the mind over matter attitude.   I also thought that on TV they looked solid, more solid than I'd guessed by seeing still pictures of them.

It should be a nice season coming up!

Chris
Chris
That episode originally ran in December 2016.  My local PBS tends to wait a couple of years to show Woodright's Shop episodes.  I don't mind an occasional guest on the show, but it seems every other week, it's Chris Schwarz, Peter Follansbee, Peter Ross, or Mary May.  Kind of getting old.  I enjoy the show more when Roy talks more about why a certain piece was made the way it was, and shows how the joinery works, or how the wood was selected.  Schwarz always seems to be hawking his latest project, and Follansbee doesn't seem to offer anything new (spoons or carved boxes, and riving logs).  Mary May is always instructive.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
C. S. has been writing a lot about Roman benches lately, maybe he is having an adjustment to his thought process.... a much simpler build than Roubo...
Skip

The one he could sit on...meh

The one he had to stand up at?   Yes, very doable.....end vise looks good....the face vise as well....not sure about those
Confused fancy holdfasts...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that