What lathe for pen turning?
Lee Valley now sells Rikon,certainly would buy there before Penn State.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(09-06-2017, 10:31 AM)Chuckhead Wrote: A friend of mine is interested in getting into pen turning.  First things first - he needs a lathe.  He doesn't want to buy something cheap just to see if he enjoys turning pens, but he also doesn't need top of the line.  He also claims (emphasize the word claims) that he has no interest in turning anything larger than pens or stoppers.  I would appreciate recommendations on a good lathe for his needs that I can pass along to him.

Thanks!

Charlie

If anyone mentioned used lathes above, I missed it.

There is nothing wrong with a good used lathe even if it is discontinued. "Good" is a significant term, though.

The Jet 1014 (with or without the "I" or the "VS") is an excellent starter lathe for pens, bottle stoppers, chisel handles, and Christmas ornament. This is what I started with after I found one on CL and a stand and extension for it here in SnS. Mine has a bit more slop in the tailstock spindle than I like for drilling blanks but there are lots of alternatives for doing that. We have added other lathes to our shop but we still happily use that 1014 for small turnings while the larger lathes are in use by other family members.

If they happen to already have a Shopsmith, it is a fine starter lathe once it gets dialed in. You can get buy pen turning mandrels for them at Penn State. The biggest drawback is the power head maintenance every 25hr.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I am using Mophorn Heavy Duty Benchtop Wood Lathe. It having amazing features like providing stability, Smoothness in the object turning operationaccurancy, durability. It comes with 550W speed powerful motor. Also comes with digital display which helps to check measurements.
Can't go wrong with a Oneway 24-36.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
With a 5,000 rpm top speed that I never use, I'm turning some nice pens with my Nova Galaxi. If I don't get the starter hole dead center in the blank, it doesn't matter because the lathe has enough mass and strength to handle the off-center vibration until I get it running round. Just because I COULD turn a 16" diameter by 45" long pen, that doesn't mean I HAVE to.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
This is two years old guys.  It might help some newbies tho.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I have a used Jet VS mini I paid $180 for about three years ago with an extension bed thrown in.

I love it.

I'll eventually replace it with something bigger because I now have a bigger shop and want to turn bowls
Semper fi,
Brad

Tell your "friend" to just skip the little, pen only lathes, and just go straight to what he'll end up with..........

http://www.turnrobust.com/american-beauty/

When he needs a new turning tool or chuck or whatever, he can tell LOHL that "gee honey, I spent all that money on the lathe, I need this other stuff to make it worthwhile". This method will make life much easier in the long run.
Smile
Laugh
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper