Router Issue
I've owned the Bosch 1617 2.25 HP router set (fixed base and plunge base) for at least the last 10-12 years. It's had moderate use as I am just a hobbyist and I take very good care of my tools.

Yesterday I went to use the router and it would not turn on... it was just dead. It wasn't like it tried to start and was bound up and then stopped, it was like I flipped the switch with cord not being plugged in.

Would anyone have any clue if there is some sort of surge switch that may have tripped or if there is a known problem with their motors? 

Thanks
A wise man once said, "All woodworkers make mistakes. A good woodworker can hide them."
(09-10-2017, 06:39 AM)Darknight Wrote: I've owned the Bosch 1617 2.25 HP router set (fixed base and plunge base) for at least the last 10-12 years. It's had moderate use as I am just a hobbyist and I take very good care of my tools.

Yesterday I went to use the router and it would not turn on... it was just dead. It wasn't like it tried to start and was bound up and then stopped, it was like I flipped the switch with cord not being plugged in.

Would anyone have any clue if there is some sort of surge switch that may have tripped or if there is a known problem with their motors? 

Thanks

I assume you checked the outlet and know it is good.  The switch itself may be worn out. 

Check the brushes.  Hopefully someone with more motor experience will respond, but you should be able to Google "how to check motor brushes."  On most motors they are easy to get too and replace.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Sounds like switch (nothing, no sounds, no warning, dust environment woodworking tool).  Just googled and easy to open up, clean sawdust out and fix. Or replacement switch available fore about $17 (not clear if it is more dust resistant/   Google "Bosch 1617 switch" to find easy detailed directions and even a couple videos.  Good luck and let us know.  Ray
(09-10-2017, 06:39 AM)Darknight Wrote: I've owned the Bosch 1617 2.25 HP router set (fixed base and plunge base) for at least the last 10-12 years. It's had moderate use as I am just a hobbyist and I take very good care of my tools.

Thanks

These Bosch routers seem to have a common switch problem.  Try to blow out any dust with compressed air.  If that doesn't work, replace the switch.  Very easy to do.  Mine gave up after a few years; replaced it several years ago and so far no further problems.
Lots of info out there about the switch issue with these routers.
Thanks guys.  I tested the outlets and even reset the breaker and the outlet is good.

I can spin it freely and there is not drag.

I did find the info with Google about the switch and I will clean it and replace it if need be.

Thanks for the help!
A wise man once said, "All woodworkers make mistakes. A good woodworker can hide them."
If the router has been mounted upside down in a table, then there's a chance that some debris filtered down into the motor and is causing a problem.   The most common problem is that a large chip hits and breaks the fan.  The fan blades and the chip will damage the windings.

Another problem with seldom used portable power tools is that dust and debris gets in the brush channel and won't allow the brush to contact the commutator like it should.

Yep, the problem is most likely the switch, but sometimes it isn't.
Don't know if they still do but several years ago my switch quit working and Bosch sent out a replacement at no cost.  Might give them a call.
Last weekend I fixed a non-functioning trigger switch on a big Makita rotary hammer drill/chipper with electric contact cleaner and compressed air. I didn't even take the switch out, just pulled back the rubber covering it, squirted a little and blew it out. It worked so well, I tried it on a variable speed Sawzall that had become a two speed with dead spots. Worked great on that too. I have also learned that the $99 Sawzalls have a minor defect with the brush holders that keeps them from pushing the brushes inward more than about 1/8". If yours won't start or lacks power and starts throwing sparks like the brushes are gone, the brass holder might just need to be gently squeezed a bit. Unscrew the caps and take a look. It's easy to see what's wrong.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I also have a Bosch aand the switch went.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com