it's always something -- leaking outside frost-free faucet
I installed a frost-free faucet a while back. It's in awesome cosmetic shape.  I'm pretty sure I emptied it last winter, not sure. Is it possible to replace the valve seat on these things?  It looks like you can take it apart.

The best part is that the ball valve I installed for a shutoff is leaking too.  Musta overheated it when I put it in.
when soldering ball valves,make sure they are open and go easy on the heat.Your outside tap should have a slight tilt down so when you shut it off the water drains out and there is no danger of freezing.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(09-11-2017, 01:15 PM)EricU Wrote: I installed a frost-free faucet a while back. It's in awesome cosmetic shape.  I'm pretty sure I emptied it last winter, not sure. Is it possible to replace the valve seat on these things?  It looks like you can take it apart.

The best part is that the ball valve I installed for a shutoff is leaking too.  Musta overheated it when I put it in.

Yes, you can replace the interior parts. Find a plumbing supply store.

However, a new faucet may be less expensive than repair parts.
(09-11-2017, 06:41 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: when soldering ball valves,make sure they are open and go easy on the heat.Your outside tap should have a slight tilt down so when you shut it off the water drains out and there is no danger of freezing.

Mel

Actually, a lot of ball valves have flats on the sides of the ball. That can create an air pocket that expands when heated and can pop the seals. Half open is best. Other valve types should be all the way open.

Further, on a frost free faucet, the inside couple of inches of the valve should be inside any insulation, not buried in the insulation
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Thanks for the half open tip,Ian,I always did them fully open and carefully,but your method makes sense.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
yeah, half open makes sense, no way to trap air anywhere.  In this location, sharkbite probably makes more sense, it's a pain to get to.  

Unfortunately, our plumbing stores will tell me to go see if I can get parts at the borg.