Definition of "swing"
Question 
The description of the Grizzly G0766 - 22" x 42" Variable-Speed Wood Lathe contains the following specs:
[*]Swing over bed: 22"
[*]Swing over tool rest base (banjo): 18"
[*]Swing over tool rest: 16"

In the above description does it mean that the largest dia I can turn using the supplied tool rest is 16"?
Are there tool rests and banjos available to get 21" dia at the tool rest?

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
(09-12-2017, 08:05 PM)scpapa Wrote: The description of the Grizzly G0766 - 22" x 42" Variable-Speed Wood Lathe contains the following specs:

In the above description does it mean that the largest dia I can turn using the supplied tool rest is 16"?

Rick
[*]

I don't think so.  it should be 18". the 16" could be a misprint,  or they are saying 16" to the top of the banjo where the tool rest comes out of. The 16" is kinda useless information  the 18"swing over the banjo in the important one.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Thats bad info. I have never seen a banjo that is four inches tall.
(09-12-2017, 08:05 PM)scpapa Wrote: The description of the Grizzly G0766 - 22" x 42" Variable-Speed Wood Lathe contains the following specs:

Rick
[*]

That is an unusual set of specs.

My interpretation would be that you could turn a bit under 22" platters and shallow bowls

When the object being turned is long enough to extend over the banjo, then you are limited to the slightly under 18" diameter rough.

The only thing that I can figure on that last spec is that the horizontal part of the banjo is shorter than it should be for that size lathe. So, when the banjo is perpendicular to the ways, the vertical part of the banjo that holds the tool rest post gets in the way of anything bigger than 16" diameter. If that is the problem, then one could probably find a replacement banjo from a different model lathe to get rid of that restriction. It might take a fair amount of effort, though, until someone figure out what the "right" replacement is and spreads the word. There are a a lot more variables for cross-compatibility than one might think until one gets into the nitty-gritty details.

That is an interesting lathe at that price. Almost seems too good to be true.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
My guess about the last spec "swing over tool rest" is... perhaps... the max distance the tool rest can get away from center is 16 inches.
(09-13-2017, 02:09 AM)MidwestMan Wrote: ... the max distance the tool rest can get away from center is 16 inches.

This is it.
Wood is good. 
(09-13-2017, 02:09 AM)MidwestMan Wrote: My guess about the last spec "swing over tool rest" is... perhaps... the max distance the tool rest can get away from center is 16 inches.

This what I thought, too. But, my Jet midi tool rest is not closer to the center than the ways; I can turn up to the max over the ways if the banjo isn't under the work.
So I initially thought he same with the Grizzly.
Upset

I think I will call them for clarification.

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
(09-13-2017, 06:29 AM)scpapa Wrote: I think I will call them for clarification.

Rick

Best answer
Yes
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(09-12-2017, 11:00 PM)Angus Wrote: Thats bad info. I have never seen a banjo that is four inches tall.

Angus

I am thinking and pretty sure the tool rest base is 2" thick so that takes 4" off of each side.  I do know they are thicker then my PM3520b one.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I forgot one of our members here in the turning forum has one and hope he chimes in.  I have heard a lot of things about it but it seems everyone I heard from love the G0800 and G0799 of the grizzly lathes.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.