Shop size -- time to make up my mind!
I've gone 32 x 48 the last couple of barns. It gives me some room in front for parking, yard maintenance equipment, and wood storage, plus an uninterrupted 32 x 24 in back, and with perimeter storage seems to be ample room for all the basic tools, and benches, tables. I don't feel cramped, and don't feel like everything is WAY over there.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I am a big fan of wall lengths divisible by 8.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(09-13-2017, 12:23 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: How big a shop is "big enough"?  Your experience please
Winkgrin

I'm getting ready to pour the slab for a shop.  Right now I'm looking at 30'x40' with a 12' ceiling.

But I will get quotes on making it 30' x 50'.

I plan on one side being my metal/automotive working side with the woodworking machines on the other.  (Yeah, I know there will be conflicts, but two buildings aren't in the budget)

Will 30'x40' be big enough?  How much difference will the extra make?
Confused

A 30x40 will not be enough for both a wood and metal shop.  You have to also think about metal storage and enough space around each one to safety move around them.  Also who knows you might have welding or a wood CNC to and it all takes space.  The smallest machine shop I seen in the Military was 30x50 but I do not know how much equipment you have.

Last I would put in a wall between both of them so heating and Air Con cost can be reduced if you are in one or the other most of the time.
I would suggest a 36x50 minimum
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I used to have a 25x50 shop with another 45x50 attached for wood storage and parking. The 25x50 was nice but plenty big. Currently have a 16x30 shop with separate wood storage and darn that fills up fast. So yes, bigger is better.
My opinion is normally to the contrary on this topic. 

In my case, Bigger isn't better for a couple reasons. 

1. Larger shop means more steps, more steps equates waste time, wasted time is losing efficiency and money off the bottom line. (now I know 80% of shops for people here are for hobby use, unless your retired and can come and go as you please, wasted time is a big deal if you dont have time as a hobbyist) 

2. Up here in MN, even if you insulate the crap out of it, you have to heat it at least 6 months a year, and AC 2-3 months. Thats $$$. If you go with a cheaper monthly system, like a heat pump, its way more up front. Either way you're paying. 

3. Most people I know, if they have a very large space, they will fill it with unneeded or useless garbage, because they have space to fill and they can. 

My shop is just under 500 sqft...and that includes about 1000-1500 bf of hardwoods at any given time, a small finishing room, a small CNC router as well as the regular complement of stationary tools that I push out a bit under 100k of product annually. 

Most days I spend my time in a 10' x 12' area. So most of the time, 75% of the space in my shop just sits idle. 

Someday I will have a large shop, but it will be when I need more hands working along side of me.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

So I think bigger would be better but then again maintaining bigger can take the fun out of it.  So if I were doing something like you are proposing I might make the slab a bit larger to accommodate a large overhang for things that don't necessarily need to be inside.  Also a door on each end with a section on one end tall enough to allow for a lift
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfq2Saey...86FXHnjROP

This is the first episode of the Woodpeckers shop build. Man, talk about a wonderful shop!! There are about 35 episodes, each full of great content. You'll spend an entire day watching all of them. Don't forget to have a handkerchief handy to wipe the slobber off your grin while watching.

In the end, the bigger you build, the better you will enjoy the shop. The only downside is when your significant other comes into the shop and says, "it's so nice that your shop is bigger than our house." She will be expecting you to make wonderful things for the house. If not, the nice big shop will be a continuing anchor around you neck every time your wife brings up that subject.
LOL.......my shop building is 6x larger than the house.

Ed
(09-16-2017, 04:58 PM)EdL Wrote: LOL.......my shop building is 6x larger than the house.

Ed

Laugh

+1
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Mine is 28x42 and no where close to being large enough for cars and shop
"During times of universal deceit, Telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"

-- George Orwell