Converting Weber grill from propane tank to house propane??
I have a Weber 420S Summit grill I want to convert from bottled propane and tie it to the home propane system. Do I need a pressure regulator or just tie in directly to house system? Thanks.
The LP regulator used on the homes LP tank should be set at 9"-11" wc already, so you will not need the regulator that came with the grill. The pressure requirements are labeled on the grills tag- look for that.

Be sure and connect AFTER this existing regulator. Your supplier can help you if you are doubtful.
I think you're right. I'll check with my supplier. They should know what is needed. Thanks.
I've done it twice and just plumbed it into the house system both times, worked just fine. Suggest you look for a flexible hose connection kit, they have a QD hookup and a 10' hose that makes life nice. I found mine at Home Despot, I think it was made by one of the grill companies. the only caveat is to keep an eye on the hose. Rodents like squirrels like to chew on the outer cover, making the hose leak (DAHIKT).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(09-13-2017, 11:13 PM)00lightning Wrote: I think you're right.  I'll check with my supplier.  They should know what is needed.  Thanks.

(09-14-2017, 05:44 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I've done it twice and just plumbed it into the house system both times, worked just fine. Suggest you look for a flexible hose connection kit, they have a QD hookup and a 10' hose that makes life nice. I found mine at Home Despot, I think it was made by one of the grill companies. the only caveat is to keep an eye on the hose. Rodents like squirrels like to chew on the outer cover, making the hose leak (DAHIKT).

This - no "hose regulator" needed, when we built this house I had a line run to the spot where the grill sits and then just put on a QD and hose that I got at Home Depot and was done (was a Weber branded hose)
(09-14-2017, 05:44 AM)fredhargis Wrote: the only caveat is to keep an eye on the hose. Rodents like squirrels like to chew on the outer cover, making the hose leak (DAHIKT).

It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, there should be a shutoff valve on the hard pipe before the hose.  For obvious reasons.  Presumably the kits come with a valve, but I don't know.  
Wink
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(09-14-2017, 09:24 AM)TDKPE Wrote: It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, there should be a shutoff valve on the hard pipe before the hose.  For obvious reasons.  Presumably the kits come with a valve, but I don't know.  
Wink

Good point, the one I bought did not have a shutoff valve, but I put one in right at the QD.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I talked to the propane supplier and they will make the tie-in. As someone stated, there is no additional pressure regulator required. They will sure a vinyl coated flexible corrugated hose. There is a shutoff vavle on the exterior wall where the island will be located. I will have them add a QD and an additional shut off valve.
Now can we get an automatic shut-off for the grill? How about a bright indicator light on the gas valve? My wife will bring the steak in to see if it's cooked enough for everyone. If it is the grill gets left on!
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Well, they do make electric valves that are NC, energized to open, for use in boats (a requirement, in fact). There is a switch at the range or cooktop that energizes the valve to permit gas flow from the separate (and vented to atmosphere outside the boat) locker for LP tanks, in addition to the manual valve on the tank and the controls on the range. The switch is usually lighted when active.

You could wire one of those to a switch inside the house using a 12VDC power supply. Said half in jest, but the equipment actually exists for such remote LP supply control.

They may be common or required in RV's, but I know nothing about them.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"