Chisel ID Help
I picked up this chisel recently. I just started cleaning it and All I can see is WARRANTED as the second line on the stamping. The "arrow" stamp pointing towards the wording may be owner applied. 

I want to say this is a Witherby since they had that verbiage on the chisel. Is that handle a clue? Not sure about the small "o" stamp.

The handle has 3 leather washers.

Anyone have any clues?

Thanks

Mark

Attached Files Image(s)

That mark does not resemble Witherby marks found here:

http://galootcentral.com/membersites/bri.../index.htm
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Its a Weatherby.....I have one that is identical and has the name...will post pic of it soon as I can.

Don
Well,
So far we have one nay and one yay. I may never know what this and I'm OK with that.

Thanks 

Mark
The handle is a Witherby handle for sure; but handles migrate from chisel to chisel, so who knows. Those markings don't look like Witherby.
Greenlee, C.E. Jennings, and Swan all had handles that look very similar to yours.  It may be possible to bring out the worn out portion of the marking using gun blueing compound.  Sometimes, it'll provide some contrast to the portion that was stamped into the metal.  It's a trick I've used to bring out faded portions of saw etchings as well.  One thing for sure, is it's probably a good chisel, given Witherby, Greenlee, Jennings, and Swan all made very good chisels.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
What kind of chisel is it?

A good one.

Sharpen it up and use it.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Thanks all,

I have decided to put this on the popular auction site. Should be there Wednesday AM.

I have a duplicate of this one. I can't keep em all......or could I.

Mark
(09-18-2017, 02:39 PM)sawnuts Wrote: Thanks all,

I have decided to put this on the popular auction site. Should be there Wednesday AM.

Don't expect too much, pretty short for a sash mortise chisel.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I would have guessed Jennings.