Overpriced new plane on ebay
When I first started acquiring used tools, flea markets and garages sales were the only outlets.  Once Ebay started to grow, it was a great place to find more rare tools, often at great prices.  While I still find bargains from time to time, I am surprised how often I see a new item priced at several times the retail price 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272848174403?ul_noapp=true

In fairness, this seller lots of specs on what appears to be the Stanley SW plane including

Specifications AC Voltage: Amperage: Cuts Per Inch: Cutterhead Diameter: Cutterhead Speed (RPM): Dust Port Size: Feed Rate - Moulding (FPM): Feed Rate - Planing (FPM): Horsepower: Knife Length: Knife Thickness: Knife Width: Max. Material Thickness: Max. Planing Depth: Max. Planing Width: Min. Material Length: Motor Phase: No. of Knives: Operating Speed (CPM): PreWired Voltage

While he does not list the actual specs, I admit I have a large number of planes, and I don't know the dust port size or feed rate of any of them.

For fun,  I looked at his other listings-  he has a 50 foot garden hose at BIN price of just over $200, a light bulb for $299 and some hand held power tools at some similarly inflated prices.

I wonder if the business model is to hope someone just clicks on buy it now on the first item they see, or is he trying to set a very high price, so that a friend can justify a still overinflated price on the similar used item
I thought it might be for the overseas market or some form of Amazon automated pricing, but the seller seems to have everything priced at a multiple of it's retail price.  

Look at this - it's $33 at HD.  This guy's selling for $300:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garden-Rolling-S...SwOfdZrM0V

Never knew Bostitch had hand planes, but it looks like a rebranded Stanley.  Why?  Does the Bostitch name add value to a modern Stanley plane?

Agree that Ebay is all over the place.

Steve
Good to know that it's AC voltage, but where's the cord?
Might this be money laundering? ISIS funding? The PT Barnum school of marketing final exam?
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
From the posts, I thought this was true price gouging for hurricane victims. $308 including shipping really is no big deal. And, people will pay extra for simple re-branding. Look, it's a Stanley #4 that goes for $110, including shipping. The Bostich is only "about"
Raised twice the cost. Good seller, too. 100% on 61 sales.

I could easily slip into the honey and drop the money. 

If you want gouging, just call a plumber having lots of advertising. [Angie's List will even guarantee it.] The first bid I got was $1K, and I paid for the bid. They added some bogus BS requirements from Your Dreams Plumbing Code. Next guy fished for the 1st bid number, then knocked $200 off. Third guy wanted to play the 1st Guy bid-pay trick, but finally gave me $500 "estimate" since he couldn't see the work and wouldn't warrant my faucet--guess that was an add. 

Last and final guy listened to my one sentence description--I had it down pat--and said, $150. His son came out the next night on the way home. I gave him all my copper "practice" fittings gratis. I never sweat soldered before. 

Insurance gave me the full work estimate and the plumbing item was $125; which really was a bullshit number--$300 was closer to actual cost. I got the "ease of work" discount. All the plumber did was sweat solder my new shower faucet and spray head into the open framing before I sheet rocked. 

So, that uni-body Bostich sounds like a winner. Just shop around. Maybe, go with the Stanley in the "Also Viewed" section just above dsindustries7 
(09-16-2017, 10:04 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Good to know that it's AC voltage, but where's the cord?

Bill, the cord is not included, that is extra, so is the dust hood.  If it were complete I could understand the price, but since I would need to buy those parts separately, I think it is overpriced.
Maybe his bride insisted that he get rid of some of his tools...
(09-16-2017, 10:17 AM)Jim Waldron Wrote: Might this be money laundering? 

You hit the nail on the head. The FEDS caught a ring a few years back.
They were selling stuff like a $2 Yo-Yo for $6500 or some such nonsense.
I remember seeing a black light poster from the 1970's selling for $35,000
It was drug related money laundering.
Stanley and Bostitch are the same company, so you can have Bostitch hand planes or Stanley staplers as quick as saying "Bob's your uncle".  As to the pricing...hey, it's eBay!
Rolleyes
(09-17-2017, 09:59 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: Stanley and Bostitch are the same company, so you can have Bostitch hand planes...

Except the Bostitch hand planes will be air-powered.