Briggs and Stratton motors
What is your opinion with just check and add oil (never change oil )on BS motors ?
(09-16-2017, 03:47 PM)Dennis  Puskar Wrote: What is your opinion with just check and add oil (never change oil )on BS motors ?

No

There aren't even any oil filters on most of them.

Change it.

Oil is cheap.

In fact, use Mobil 1.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
Listen to the Owl- he speaks wisely. 

Laugh
(09-16-2017, 03:47 PM)Dennis  Puskar Wrote: What is your opinion with just check and add oil (never change oil )on BS motors ?

Do you do that in your car ?    Most small engines only hold about 20 oz.   If it is a item that is used only once in a while you can get by with a couple of years.   A air cooled engine on a mower is operated at high outside temps to begin with.  Oil breaks down with heat.   After having said that I have seen small engines  run for years  with low and very dirty oil.   So I guess it depends on how long you want the engine to last.  Roly

I just looked into a new 8 HP B&S motor.  Just over $500.  Even the best oil is only a few dollars per quart. 

John
B&S doesn't make motors.

They make engines.
(09-16-2017, 06:32 PM)Herb G Wrote: B&S doesn't make motors.

They make engines.

Exactly,motors run by electricity.Engines are internal combustion.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(09-16-2017, 06:32 PM)Herb G Wrote: B&S doesn't make motors.

They make engines.

Thanks.  That was helpful.

John
Engines are motors.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24

Lot of input great if I buy one I would change the oil, Thanks everybody