Briggs and Stratton motors
(09-19-2017, 03:08 PM)messmaker Wrote: 50 hours is comparable to 2500-3000 miles on a car. Most cars can go 7000 or so on a change. If you base it on that, once every year or so should be plenty.

Vehicles don't run at 3,600 rpm all those hrs. Vehicles have oil filters and more complete combustion via computer and modified intake/exhaust systems.

But then either might be under the influence of teenagers. 
Laugh
A lot depends on the model engine and machine cost.
My bil buys the cheap $100 +/- push lawnmower.
Uses it for 1-3 years, until one of the kids hits something and bends the crank, or it won't start, then buys a new one.
Works for him. Not the way I roll. 

A by product of combustion in a gas engine is acid, among other things.
At lower temps (starting) a lot of it goes by the rings into the crankcase, and contaminates the oil.
Just adding oil doesn't get rid of the bad/damaging oil.

"You can pay me now. Or you can pay me later" is a true statement.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(09-16-2017, 03:47 PM)Dennis  Puskar Wrote: What is your opinion with just check and add oil (never change oil )on BS motors ?

THEY SUCK!  I'LL SAY IT AGAIN, THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

I WILL never buy another product with a Briggs and Stratton engine on it. I bought a brand new Aerins snowblower from a dealer ($2250.00; not a BORG low end unit) a few years ago. It was a very mild winter and only used the blower 3-4 times that year. It was stored as per the directions that come with it. When I went to get it out and use it the next season, I pulled once and no start, pulled a second time and just about ripped my arm out of the socket. Took it back to the dealer and he covered it under the warranty. A part had come loose inside the motor and caused it to jam so it would not turn over.

#2 & 3 lawn mowers with BS (we know it doesn't stand for Briggs and Stratton, more like Bull Sh$t motors) engines on them. Both were filled, started and ran per directions - #2 died within 15 mins. taken back and the dealer gave me a replacement which runs. I have had that one for 2.5 years. The first half season went without issue, the second season cost me $175.00 to get the motor fixed so it would run. This season the engine ran like CRAP, taken back and at the cost of $120.00 still sucked. So for $100. I went to Harbor Freight and picked up a Predator engine for it. Took the POS BS motor off and thru it in the scrap pile. Out of the box the Predator engine is 100% better than the BS engine ever was or could be. 

From now on any product I have will not have a POS BS motor on it.  I have always supported American Made and American companies, however, this is the exception. I hate to say this about any American company, but this is one that needs to close. Go with Honda, Predator, Kohler or anything but B&S.

The old saying is correct - "Buyer beware!"
Also in reading the posts here, I see people are weighing in and don't even know the difference between a motor and an engine.

noun
noun: motor; plural noun: motors
  1. 1.
    a machine, especially one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts.
    • a source of power, energy, or motive force.
      "hormones are the motor of the sexual functions"

adjective
adjective: motor
  1. 1.
    giving, imparting, or producing motion or action.
    "demand is the principle motor force governing economic activity"
    • Physiology
      relating to muscular movement or the nerves activating it.
      "the motor functions of each hand"

2. 2.
    British
    driven by a motor.
    • relating to motor vehicles.
      "a dominant figure in the world of motor sports"

verb
informal
verb: motor; 3rd person present: motors; past tense: motored; past participle: motored; gerund or present participle: motoring
travel in a motor vehicle, typically a car or a boat.

en·gine
ˈenjən/
noun
noun: engine; plural noun: engines
  1. 1.
    a machine with moving parts that converts power into motion.
    synonyms:
    motor, machine, mechanism; More
    jet, turbojet, turboprop, turbofan, turbine, generator
    "a power-generating engine"

• a thing that is the agent or instrument of a particular process.
      "exports used to be the engine of growth"
      synonyms:
      cause, agent, instrument, originator, initiator, generator
      "the main engine of change"

2. 2.
    a railroad locomotive.
So there you have it - it can be an engine or motor. On the website, Briggs and Stratton calls them engines.
(10-01-2017, 12:55 PM)efmrrt Wrote: THEY SUCK!  I'LL SAY IT AGAIN, THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell us how you really feel.
Winkgrin
Winkgrin 

(10-01-2017, 12:59 PM)efmrrt Wrote: Also in reading the posts here, I see people are weighing in and don't even know the difference between a motor and an engine.
Duh....
Winkgrin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-16-2017, 06:40 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: Exactly,motors run by electricity.Engines are internal combustion.

Mel

Is that why they call it General Engines
(10-02-2017, 10:31 AM)fixtureman Wrote: Is that why they call it General Engines

Or Ford Engine Company, Honda Engines, etc...
Laugh
Laugh
(10-02-2017, 05:48 PM)jlanciani Wrote: Or Ford Engine Company, Honda Engines, etc...
Laugh
Laugh

Don't forget Outboard Engines for boats, made by, well, everybody. 
Yes
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(10-02-2017, 06:01 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Don't forget Outboard Engines for boats, made by, well, everybody. 
Yes

I never made one.
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Laymen terms in the field are; Engine- gasoline/diesel/Lp/nat gas/rocket fuel.     Motor; electric.  
Wink

We don't ask what engine you have in your drill or blender, or what motor you have in your 18 wheeler or X18-PQ eliminator rocket.

Political correctness is for politicians when it comes to power.
Winkgrin

B&S engines are good for throw away little machines like push mowers, but I prefer the Kawasaki engine in my lawn tractors. Never let me down yet. Had one for 20 years and it still ran fine when I sold it.