Can someone do a really simple project for me ??
PSU, hats off to you for wanting to help your dad.

The folks here on WoodNet are some of the greatest, most helpful, creative people anywhere.  Many, many years of experience are at your disposal.  I have never seen anyone one on the forum intentionally offer bad advice.  The gentlemen who have offered advice have worked with wood and understand wood; they know what they are talking about.

A side story:  For a few years I was the guy at church who people came to for their projects.  One lady friend often started her request, "Bill, I have a really quick and simple..........."  I had this response, "Joyce, if it is quick and simple, you go ahead and do it, I'm here to help on the hard things."  Then I would walk away.  Yes, I did usually help her, but the point is:  Any small project is simple and easy for the one not doing it.

PSU, if you were in my neck of the woods, I would enjoy helping you build your project just for the joy of watching you learn.  I understand your time table but I hope you decide to get in there and DIY.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
[Image: 17a4eb8f-f064-4af5-9195-0645201f1f40_1000.jpg]
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
Just install the aluminum angle directly to the sides of the cubby and fashion some kind of a shelf.
(09-19-2017, 10:26 AM)packerguy® Wrote: Ever pop rivet wood? Especially 1/4 cheap plywood?

Sorry, you are way off base here. 

+1.  Pop rivets????  OP has real issues, sorry, but true.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-19-2017, 03:14 PM)Admiral Wrote: ...Pop rivets????...

Anything is possible when you don't know what you're doing.
Smile
Wood is good. 
Again PSU, where do you live?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-19-2017, 03:14 PM)Admiral Wrote: +1.  Pop rivets????  OP has real issues, sorry, but true.

(09-19-2017, 05:39 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: Anything is possible when you don't know what you're doing.
Smile

Some of you guys need to cut OP a little slack. This is his first post and he's trying to get something done for his father.

Regarding rivets.... Copper rivets (nails) and washers (roves) have been used for wood-to-wood connections in small boat construction pretty much forever.

http://www.boat-building.org/learn-skill...all-boats/

I've used pop rivets and washers to attach metal tabs to 1/8" and 1/4" plywood and masonite. Works great. I've also used pop rivets and washers to attach metal to leather, metal to canvas webbing, metal to plastic, etc. OP's little shelf could be constructed with pop rivets and washers, 2"x 2"x 1/8" aluminum angle and 1/4" masonite.
(09-19-2017, 09:15 PM)Lynden Wrote: Some of you guys need to cut OP a little slack. This is his first post and he's trying to get something done for his father.

Regarding rivets.... Copper rivets (nails) and washers (roves) have been used for wood-to-wood connections in small boat construction pretty much forever.

http://www.boat-building.org/learn-skill...all-boats/

I've used pop rivets and washers to attach metal tabs to 1/8" and 1/4" plywood and masonite. Works great. I've also used pop rivets and washers to attach metal to leather, metal to canvas webbing, metal to plastic, etc.  OP's little shelf could be constructed with pop rivets and washers, 2"x 2"x 1/8" aluminum angle and 1/4" masonite.

That's why I asked where he lives: we're all over the country and one of us may be close enough to lend him a hand. From the "PSU" in his name, I'm thinking Penn State (me and entire family, except out 17 year old, but including two son in laws, are grads), and the main campus is 60 miles from me.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I use pop rivets all the time. For wood, just use the washers.

For thin connections, a screw and glue method works fine- file away the exposed screw end sticking out (non cosmetic).
(09-20-2017, 04:06 AM)Tony Z Wrote: That's why I asked where he lives:  we're all over the country and one of us may be close enough to lend him a hand.  From the "PSU" in his name, I'm thinking Penn State (me and entire family, except out 17 year old, but including two son in laws, are grads), and the main campus is 60 miles from me.

Out here "PSU" means Portland State Univ.  as in Oregon.  He could be living anywhere but just likes PSU or graduated from there at one time(1988?).
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"