Can someone do a really simple project for me ??
(09-20-2017, 08:07 AM)CARYinWA Wrote: Out here "PSU" means Portland State Univ.  as in Oregon.  He could be living anywhere but just likes PSU or graduated from there at one time(1988?).

But, those on this forum are scattered throughout, well, everywhere! Surely there is someone fairly close to the OP that could have him stop by to build the project. If he is a PA guy, he's welcome to come up my way (he may also see first hand, that there is more to projects than first meet the eye).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-20-2017, 08:32 AM)Tony Z Wrote: But, those on this forum are scattered throughout, well, everywhere!  Surely there is someone fairly close to the OP that could have him stop by to build the project.  If he is a PA guy, he's welcome to come up my way (he may also see first hand, that there is more to projects than first meet the eye).

I agree he needs to post his location.  He could be anywhere.  I think everybody ran him off.
Smile
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
Ok 4 pages now, and incredibly no one has jumped on this deal of a lifetime. I usually freely open my shop to those trying to do something like this. I think reality based experience is the best teaching tool there is, and here is clearly an example of another of America's collegiate output with little to no understanding of work based reality. So much to teach here, but alas the student isn't buying into the course curriculum.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(09-21-2017, 02:51 AM)Steve N Wrote: Ok 4 pages now, and incredibly no one has jumped on this deal of a lifetime. I usually freely open my shop to those trying to do something like this. I think reality based experience is the best teaching tool there is, and here is clearly an example of another of America's collegiate output with little to no understanding of work based reality. So much to teach here, but alas the student isn't buying into the course curriculum.

I agree Steve! I've made several attempts to learn where he/she lives, so as to suggest one of us (me included) can show & assist with the project.

The other part of this has me feeling a bit insulted: here a new comer has just come to the forum to "tempt" us to make $25.00 using some "scraps" we all have on hand, with the need to just go to the borg and buy some aluminum corner braces and/or pop rivets. First, many of us would do this for nothing, if asked in a different manner. Second the OP puts no value on our time: he/she needs to work along!
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-20-2017, 04:06 AM)Tony Z Wrote: That's why I asked where he lives:  we're all over the country and one of us may be close enough to lend him a hand.  From the "PSU" in his name, I'm thinking Penn State (me and entire family, except out 17 year old, but including two son in laws, are grads), and the main campus is 60 miles from me.

Yep --- live about 75 miles from Happy Valley --- good call !!  
Big Grin
(09-19-2017, 12:52 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: PSU, hats off to you for wanting to help your dad.

The folks here on WoodNet are some of the greatest, most helpful, creative people anywhere.  Many, many years of experience are at your disposal.  I have never seen anyone one on the forum intentionally offer bad advice.  The gentlemen who have offered advice have worked with wood and understand wood; they know what they are talking about.

A side story:  For a few years I was the guy at church who people came to for their projects.  One lady friend often started her request, "Bill, I have a really quick and simple..........."  I had this response, "Joyce, if it is quick and simple, you go ahead and do it, I'm here to help on the hard things."  Then I would walk away.  Yes, I did usually help her, but the point is:  Any small project is simple and easy for the one not doing it.

PSU, if you were in my neck of the woods, I would enjoy helping you build your project just for the joy of watching you learn.  I understand your time table but I hope you decide to get in there and DIY.

This aint really a "get your hands dirty and learn" type of project.  I welcome opportunities like that if I had the proper time and ambition for it, but this is what I already stated was a "quick and dirty" project.  Something all you woodworking vets could bang together with some scrap lumber in under an hour !!
(09-19-2017, 09:15 PM)Lynden Wrote: Some of you guys need to cut OP a little slack. This is his first post and he's trying to get something done for his father.

Regarding rivets.... Copper rivets (nails) and washers (roves) have been used for wood-to-wood connections in small boat construction pretty much forever.

http://www.boat-building.org/learn-skill...all-boats/

I've used pop rivets and washers to attach metal tabs to 1/8" and 1/4" plywood and masonite. Works great. I've also used pop rivets and washers to attach metal to leather, metal to canvas webbing, metal to plastic, etc.  OP's little shelf could be constructed with pop rivets and washers, 2"x 2"x 1/8" aluminum angle and 1/4" masonite.

Yeah I don't really like snarky comments like "You never use pop rivets in wood" --- because that just means I will scour Google for hours until I find examples of people who do it and get perfectly nice results! 
Big Grin

Just like the great Steve Jobs once quipped --- "Stay young, stay foolish, keep taking chances"
(09-21-2017, 02:51 AM)Steve N Wrote: Ok 4 pages now, and incredibly no one has jumped on this deal of a lifetime. I usually freely open my shop to those trying to do something like this. I think reality based experience is the best teaching tool there is, and here is clearly an example of another of America's collegiate output with little to no understanding of work based reality. So much to teach here, but alas the student isn't buying into the course curriculum.

Like I already stated --- this aint really a "get your hands dirty and learn" type of project.  I am normally an inquisitive fella and like those opportunities, but this is a more rushed "quick and dirty" type of job.  Some of you veteran woodworkers are kinda disappointing me because instead of bragging along the lines of "Yeah I could bang out this project in 30 min. flat using $10 of scrap wood I got laying around" --- all I hear is cackling and complaining like a bunch of old hens at the local church LOL  
Big Grin
Unfortunately for you, your assessment of the job (if done even close to correctly) is wrong, as is your assessment of the people you are thinking will drop everything to become your servant. Perhaps if you didn't just call us third grade insults, and threw in some profanity to describe us, this thread would have then dropped to the low it is heading, and the death I predict for it.

Suggesting you grab a hammer and a hand saw and start banging this out in 30 minutes, please just for illumination, make it just as you have described it.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(09-21-2017, 10:53 PM)PSU-Stud-88 Wrote: Yep --- live about 75 miles from Happy Valley --- good call !!  
Big Grin

What direction? i'm in DuBois. My wife, older two daughters, two son in laws, myself are PSU grads, with our 17 year old heading to Happy Valley next fall.

I don't have time to "knock out" a project, using $10 worth of scraps, along with purchasing fasteners and aluminum corner bracing. By the time you include travel to the Post Office, this admittedly simple project, goes into the red for whoever helps you.

I am willing to let you travel to my shop, and will let you use my tools (supervised, of course) to build what you want.
www.metaltech-pm.com