segmenting question.
Hello All,  i have been doing some segmenting and the topic has been brought up about a floating ring.  Does every one else do one of these
to minimize wood movement?  Now I'm paranoid in doing any more until i find out how the right way to do them.  Can anyone help me out here and guide me to a 
video on just how to do them?  Thanks 
Denny Davis
(09-18-2017, 10:47 PM)denyd Wrote: Hello All,  i have been doing some segmenting and the topic has been brought up about a floating ring.  Does every one else do one of these
to minimize wood movement?  Now I'm paranoid in doing any more until i find out how the right way to do them.  Can anyone help me out here and guide me to a 
video on just how to do them?  Thanks 
Denny Davis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di524qNFbAs

Floating bottom video
It depends on the use of the turning. A user bowl you would not want a floating bottom. A art piece with a floating bottom is okay but not required IF you are sure the wood for the bottom has close to the sane moisture content as the pieces in the body. I've done solid bottoms up to 8" across and haven't had a failure yet.

I know Tibbetts recommends a floating bottom for almost all pieces. But if you look at Ray Alens work he uses almost all solid bottoms.  I guess it just depends on which expert you want to listen to. Either way after you turn the piece and sand it hallway through the grits set it aside for a week or two. If either bottom is going to move you will fell it within a couple of weeks.  Introducing all the moisture from the glue may cause things to move. Finishing out the sanding should take care of any glue creep.