Using band saw to cut metal is it ok
Hello friends I have purchased a band saw to be used  to cut wood only or sometime pvc pipe. I have question can I change to different blade to cut small metal sheet thickness 1/8 or 3 mm by using band saw blade for metal. Is it possible or has anybody try it.

Bandsaws good for wood will cut aluminum (with a blade change) but won't typically work well for steel because the blade spins too fast.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
(09-19-2017, 11:05 PM)alsayyed Wrote: Hello friends I have purchased a band saw to be used  to cut wood only or sometime pvc pipe. I have question can I change to different blade to cut small metal sheet thickness 1/8 or 3 mm by using band saw blade for metal. Is it possible or has anybody try it.
You can cut aluminum in that thickness with a good wood cutting blade...you must go slow and not force the work..You "can" also cut thin brass but it heats up quickly..DO NOT attempt to cut steel..You will need a special metal cutting blade for that and most bandsaws have too high a blade speed for steel..It will destroy the blade.

I cut aluminum frequently with a 6ppi Timberwolf wood cutting blade..Keep in mind that the blade will dull faster than when cutting most woods..It's important to prevent high heat build-up. Dulling the blade doesn't bother me because I sharpen my BS blades while mounted on the saw, using my Dremel and a diamond burr and I have done it for many years..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I bought a used 4 speed HF 14" bandsaw for cutting metal. I set the speed to 600 fpm (The lowest it will go) and use it to cut metal (Metal cutting blade from Lowes). I use beeswax to reduce heat and friction and it works fine. The thicker the metal the slower you feed.
An ideal speed for overall cutting would be 200- 300 fpm. I plan on getting the right pulleys to further reduce the speed.
Make a stiff brush to contact each side of the blade below the cut to help prevent most of the chips from getting into/onto the rubber wheels. Tooth brushes work well.

I wouldn't use a dedicated wood saw or an expensive saw for this, or one where you can't get the speed down.
We have a band saw in our tool room at work and we cut steel up to about 3" thick with it.  But it has a transmission and can run at various speeds and uses a steel cutting blade.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thank you very much for your reply and advice. i will stick using the angle grinder even do not like it but do not have a choice. thank you again

For other options, it would help to know what kind of metal you're cutting. Is it just a quick project with thin sheet metal or thicker metals or do you plan on cutting all types?

A reciprocating saw cuts metals easily and sometimes a jigsaw works fine- I've used both and if your looking at the budget, HF has each real cheap but functional. They even had their 4" metal cutting hand held band saw on sale for 99 bucks. I have one and it has made many cuts with no problems at all.

For thin sheet metal, I use the pneumatic shears that cut as fast as I can push it.
For sheet metal steel nippers:  https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Sheet-Me...B00OPAQUO6
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.