P trap losing water
(09-21-2017, 08:09 AM)geek2me Wrote: Depends on climate and humidity, but in most areas a pint of water will easily evaporate in less than two days.

If you live on the surface of the sun.  Try it yourself.  I have about 8 oz in an open container on the windowsill of my kitchen.  It has been there since last weekend with no noticeable loss.
“It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost.”  ― Murray N. Rothbard
(09-27-2017, 11:52 AM)Goatman Wrote: If you live on the surface of the sun.  Try it yourself.  I have about 8 oz in an open container on the windowsill of my kitchen.  It has been there since last weekend with no noticeable loss.

I'd take that bet in the summer. My pool can lose over an inch a day without much effort at all. OK, it kinda is like the surface of the sun here some days...
Smile
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
A piece of string or rag across the trap weir can act as a wick and empty a trap in short order.  My bet is a cracked trap, either that or heavy use of Drano to deal with hair clogs has eaten through it.  A flex camera would answer the question.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I have read all of your responses and it appears that I will need to replace the P trap. Now my question is how do I remove the CI P trap. I believe they were put together with oakum and lead? I do have a small access hole in the concrete.
(09-30-2017, 07:25 AM)Overland1 Wrote: I have read all of your responses and it appears that I will need to replace the P trap. Now my question is how do I remove the CI P trap. I believe they were put together with oakum and lead? I do have a small access hole in the concrete.

First try and determine if in fact you are looking at the p trap and not just a pipe leading to a drum trap a short distance away.    If you drill out or dig out the lead and the oakum it will just wiggle out.   They make rubber adapters to go from cast iron to pvc.    Make sure it is cracked, possibly from freezing if that applies in your area before removing.  May be try dye in it refilling several times to see if it is leaking.  It also could have lost the oakum lead seal from a previous time when what ever was there before the rubber sleeve was removed.  If that is the case try repacking the lead down with a blunt punch.    It may require more concrete be removed to replace it.  Roly
(09-30-2017, 03:33 PM)Roly Wrote:  First try and determine if in fact you are looking at the p trap and not just a pipe leading to a drum trap a short distance away.    If you drill out or dig out the lead and the oakum it will just wiggle out.   They make rubber adapters to go from cast iron to pvc.    Make sure it is cracked, possibly from freezing if that applies in your area before removing.  May be try dye in it refilling several times to see if it is leaking.  It also could have lost the oakum lead seal from a previous time when what ever was there before the rubber sleeve was removed.  If that is the case try repacking the lead down with a blunt punch.    It may require more concrete be removed to replace it.  Roly

Great advice, I can see enough of it to tell it is definitely a p trap. When I have had to remove concrete from a floor in the past I have used a skill saw and an electric jack hammer. Anyone have any tips or better method let me know.
[attachment=4846]OK, so I got the p trap out. There is no leak. The trap and the pipe it connects to are about 50% clogged with hair, rust and other sediments. My theory on the water loss is that the water was being wicked out. I considered reusing the trap but decided to go with a new PVC trap instead. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.