LAGUNA acquires SUPERMAX Tools
(09-20-2017, 09:38 AM)Jason28 Wrote: First they sold Performax to Jet (WMH), essentially bought it back (rebranding in the process), and have now sold it again. I'm wondering if those guys really want to be in business or not.

The they are getting older, so maybe they are looking at retirement if no kids want in? I own a newer Supermax, and looked at the performax junk before I bought. I have heard (many more times than once) they weren't happy someone had so cheapened their product, they wanted back in to put it right. Now I don't know, but the first time I am under the impression based on info from tool makers it was just "pride" in what they had made. Owners of older Performax were always pretty much happy, owners of new ones are real close to 100% happy, as I am. Owners in between, vary, but there were always issues, and new Jet products hardly try to meet a standard.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(09-24-2017, 03:17 PM)Steve N Wrote: The they are getting older, so maybe they are looking at retirement if no kids want in? I own a newer Supermax, and looked at the performax junk before I bought. I have heard (many more times than once) they weren't happy someone had so cheapened their product, they wanted back in to put it right. Now I don't know, but the first time I am under the impression based on info from tool makers it was just "pride" in what they had made. Owners of older Performax were always pretty much happy, owners of new ones are real close to 100% happy, as I am. Owners in between, vary, but there were always issues, and new Jet products hardly try to meet a standard.

Hello, I work for Laguna Tools and I can tell you the Supermax acquisition is a great thing!  I don't know a lot about the past of Supermax but the future for sure looks bright.  The current Supermax machines are high quality and reflect the outstanding design principles that made them great.  The current Supermax staff Bill, John, Mike and all the company support staff are dedicated to these machines and Laguna is giving the Supermax line focused support.  The idea is to keep a great line of tools available and affordable to any level of production, from shops to single makers.  Laguna is constantly looking at how to improve upon the best of what's out there.  In this case, Laguna provides Supermax with an awesome distribution and development outlet, and support that would otherwise put a squeeze on the company.  Rest assured, Laguna is dedicated to the Supermax line and is enthused about the future of these fine machines!
(09-21-2017, 05:53 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Do I remember this wrong? I thought Supermax was started by some of the Performax guys that left after them after the Jet/WMH purchase. They introduced their own, separate line of sanders that have now been sold to Laguna. They are/were a completely separate company from WMH (???).

That is what I know to be the truth. As far as wanting to be in business the absolute most successful business's are those where people build the company up to a very profitable level, and then sell it for a profit. Wait a few years, depending on contract, and do it again. It has you just working part time, and having money to enjoy being off work. Possibly the definition of having arrived
Wink

The only potential issue I am aware of is Laguna's poor history in regards to customer service. It has kept me from buying in. Hopefully I don't end up getting burned due to an acquisition.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW