Stanley 79 - Princing
What's a reasonable price for a user 79 with both cutters and the fence? I see prices all over the place so I'm curious.
Jason

(09-20-2017, 10:47 AM)Jason28 Wrote: What's a reasonable price for a user 79 with both cutters and the fence? I see prices all over the place so I'm curious.

If you have an eBay account, click on "advanced" next to the search box, and look up "sold" prices to get an idea.
(09-20-2017, 01:43 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: If you have an eBay account, click on "advanced" next to the search box, and look up "sold" prices to get an idea.

I also add two more factors:

1) How badly do I want (need) it?
2) What would I consider a "user" plane.

I've found my #79 to be a real problem solver so if I had a current project with lots of hand-cut dados and was worried about fitting issues, I'd maybe go 10% higher than otherwise.  And for me, a "user" plane, it doesn't mater condition of plating or japaning or a bit of surface rust (even some pitting, just depends on where it is).  But something that even to be a user that will require several hours of rehabilitation, -10% or even -20% on the sort of average number I find on eBay.

These are just starting points.

I see lots of them in the search that appear to be missing the fence unfortunately.  Those are the ones that seem to be going cheap.

Base on a quick browse of completed auctions, $40 would be my guestimate for a "user" (some damage, but all parts present) + a bit for shipping.

YMMV
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Smile 
When I see a nice one I buy it, but none lately. A complete one, with 85% or greater nickeling I generally get $55 or so, but if it has condition issues, $45.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I paid $45 for one in really good condition, no problems with nickeling, blade nearly unused, a few years back at a MWTCA meet.

It doesn't get used a lot, but when I need it, it's about the only tool that will work.
The Best Things has the Record equivalent listed for $69.00, plane is complete with most nickel. At a tool swap, the price Bruce paid is normal. For a dealer, add another $25.00. IIRC, I paid about $25 for a nib, several years ago. Without loking at it, I can't remember if USA model, or if Stanley made some in the UK, and if it is one of those.

For what it's worth, I have both LN versions, and they are my users, quite handy, for those few times needed.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com