New "scroll ready" Blue Spruce saw
Here's an interesting new development I saw on the web.  First I thought it was just a Knew Concepts re-spin, but there's definitely more to it...

https://bluesprucetoolworks.com/blogs/ne...eparations

Chris
Chris
(09-20-2017, 02:21 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: Here's an interesting new development I saw on the web.  First I thought it was just a Knew Concepts re-spin, but there's definitely more to it...

Chris

I really like the design.  I'll be keeping an eye on this one and thanks for heads up.
I saw that at Amana: it was very impressive.  You can simply turn the handle to cut any direction, and you can independently move the frame of the saw.  It swivels out of the way without twisting the blade at all.

I have a small bow saw with a coping saw blade, modeled after those shown a while back by Bob Smalser.  It's a bit heavier than the top dollar saws, but tensions the blade and works very well.  Resetting the blade angle is slow, but it holds when set.  I have been very happy with it, and am somewhat baffled why I would want the saw to be lighter.

But the Blue Spruce saw makes me wonder if I'll stay happy.  I want a Blue Spruce saw, though I clearly don't need it.
Looks like there will be some company in the premium fret saw category.  Dave Jeske certainly has the credibility and also the aesthetic sense for making nice tools.
I was immediately reminded of my drafting table lamp. But unlike the spacial demands of that wonderful appliance, the Blue Spruce saw looks duty bound in a good package.
As much as a think I need one, I already have a Knew Concepts saw.  No doubt, Dave will sell a ton of them.  I liken this to the day Lie-Nielsen starts selling their plow plane.  A lot of folks will already have the Veritas version and won't need a LN plow.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
The design looks very interesting, the construction looks good, and expect the quality to the best. Comparing this with the Knew Concepts, however, is comparing apples with oranges. The BS saw is a coping saw, while the KC saw that everyone uses for dovetails is a fretsaw.

Questions: has anyone used this saw to clear the waste in dovetails? And what is the blade changing and blade tensioning method?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(09-20-2017, 02:21 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: Here's an interesting new development I saw on the web.  First I thought it was just a Knew Concepts re-spin, but there's definitely more to it...

Chris
From the video, it appears to be tensioned in the manner of the old coping saws, by springing the frame..The blade "carriers" look like they use pinned blades mounted in a ball-bearing assembly on each end so that both ends of the blade turns freely while under tension. There appears to be a "locking thumb-wheel" on each end when you don't want the blade to swivel.....Interesting concept..But I could be wrong about how it operates.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(09-21-2017, 06:57 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: The design looks very interesting, the construction looks good, and expect the quality to the best. Comparing this with the Knew Concepts, however, is comparing apples with oranges. The BS saw is a coping saw, while the KC saw that everyone uses for dovetails is a fretsaw.

Questions: has anyone used this saw to clear the waste in dovetails? And what is the blade changing and blade tensioning method?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Aww, heck,  I couldn't wait to learn any more about the Blue Spruce model.  But I did decide to spring for a Knew Concepts fretsaw, finally.   I now have it and I am impressed, but at the same time I note that it doesn't save me from needing to practice my technique frequently.   After several varying waste-cuts, I was starting to pull out some trapezoids needing very little trimming.   Cool stuff!

Chris

Chris

[quote pid='7535308' dateline='1507575214']
One of the best parts of the Blue Spruce, as well as ALL the Blue Spruce tools, is the handle. Fits nicely in the hand, and is long enough to be comfortable.
Picture taken at Handworks and the saws are the prototypes.

[/quote]
Semper Audere!