New "scroll ready" Blue Spruce saw
(10-09-2017, 01:53 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: Aww, heck,  I couldn't wait to learn any more about the Blue Spruce model.  But I did decide to spring for a Knew Concepts fretsaw, finally.   I now have it and I am impressed, but at the same time I note that it doesn't save me from needing to practice my technique frequently.   After several varying waste-cuts, I was starting to pull out some trapezoids needing very little trimming.   Cool stuff!

Chris

A couple of things I noted:
1.  The Blue Spruce (I hate to call it the BS) saw is built as a coping saw but will have available adapters for fret saw blades.  When you use a thin-kerf back saw, the coping saw blades are a no-go for waste removal.
2.  Blades make a big difference in frame saw performance.  The one that Knew Concepts recommends for their fret saws is a good one.
Quote:When you use a thin-kerf back saw, the coping saw blades are a no-go for waste removal.

Only if you absolutely, positively must place the blade into the backsaw kerf.

Wink
~Dan.
(10-11-2017, 04:54 PM)Dan Moening Wrote: Only if you absolutely, positively must place the blade into the backsaw kerf.

Wink

Frankly, I never do.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-11-2017, 05:02 PM)Admiral Wrote: Frankly, I never do.

Then, since you both like to do that much extra sawing, you'll love using this saw!
Laugh
I guess I'll just stick to my Disston-Porter No. 10...
Winkgrin .....since I don't cut the waste out with a saw...
No
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I'm assuming there's a linkage inside the saw frame that turns the blade holder at the other end - kinda like an old arm type drafting machine.

Very Clever!
Is there any hint of a price for this saw?  It might just be me turning into an old tight-wad, but some prices of premium tools can take the breath away.  The term "premium" might not be have to yield to "luxury".
(10-13-2017, 09:45 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: Is there any hint of a price for this saw?  It might just be me turning into an old tight-wad, but some prices of premium tools can take the breath away.  The term "premium" might not be have to yield to "luxury".

It's liable to cost more than my bandsaw...  for real...

But I guess that's no big deal... my Jointer plane cost more than my powered jointer....
Wink
(10-12-2017, 02:53 PM)bandsaw Wrote: I'm assuming there's a linkage inside the saw frame that turns the blade holder at the other end - kinda like an old arm type drafting machine.

Very Clever!

Not possible. Not necessary.
Wood is good.