roundover router bit difficulty
Not all stile and rail sets only cut 1/4" grooves, many are adjustable. Freud's PARS system is.

You could also very easily cut some scrap strips to slide into your groove for the bearing to ride on. They don't have to fit snug, just be the same depth as the groove. Even if they left a gap, as long as the gap was less than 3/16" the bearing will no longer fall into the groove.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Aha, I found a good/better way to do this.  My partially made frame looked like an H since the top and bottom frame pieces had not been installed.  I took a piece of scrap and fastened the top and bottom pieces to the frame on the backside with screws. Since this would never show a screw hole was OK.  This gave me something solid to hold the frame together.  Then I installed a 1/4 roundover bit in my router mounted on my router table.  I was fortunate to find a 1/4 roundover bit with a long shank between the beginning of the cutter and the bearing.  However, I could have used stacked bearings as someone else suggested. 

The frame H that I had was about 37 inches high and 15 inches wide so it was still small enough to be able to control on the router table.  I then placed it face down on the router table and routed around the inside of the frame.  When I was done I removed the scrap piece and except for the holes on  the backside of the frame it was just about perfect or at least as I ever come to perfect.  Fortunately this frame was about 37 inches high and 15 inches wide.  If the frame had been too much bigger it would have been too hard to control on the router table or I would have needed a bigger router table.  . 

See the attached pictures to see how I finally was able to do this safely and accurately. 

[Image: IMG_0782_zpsre0xdfam.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0783_zpsukyandru.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0817_zpso0cczfwq.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0818_zpsfgytmuph.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0819_zpsgtknoi7x.jpg]
were it me, I'd cut the round overs before I even considered the dadoes. Reason being, you have a solid face to run against your router table fence, & a full face to run through the the bit, therefore leading to less tear outs.
Sawdust703
Smile

head sawdust maker
Raised
(09-20-2017, 07:43 PM)vernonls Wrote: So, if you use the stile & rail cutters, how do you adjust for plywood that is always less than 1/4 ?

vern

I use this set Freud Premier Adjustable Rail & Stile Bit set 99-763

It is adjustable for the ply thickness. you will be much happier than the way you are currently doing it. $92.96 is a GREAT price for it.
Cool at least that's what it was when I posted
Laugh it is amazon
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop