PM 12-inch jointer dust collection
I've finally started using my new jointer and the dust collection was horrible.  I have a Jet DC-1200VX 2hp dust collector connected directly to the 4-inch port on the jointer.  I was getting virtually no dust collection.  

So I took off the nozzle plate and looked under the machine and I discovered there was just a giant air gap behind the collection nozzle under the jointer bed.  (see photo).  Note - the dust collection nozzle plate attaches to the middle bar (notice threaded hole).  Is this normal?  There is no way any dust collector would work with this setup.

So I cut a piece of thin plywood and covered the open areas and used caulk to seal the pieces in.  Tomorrow after it dries I'm sure it will be much better.

This is a horrible design for such an expensive machine.

Am i missing something?

[Image: lPyF8xVqL7e2wAfI3][Image: UggrJokObYvE-nq2Rn0ds7onacl0sYbw8On6FKhu...97-h662-no]
Although I can't see the pictures, it sounds a lot like my Delta DJ20. I fixed it the same way you did, and it improved DC significantly.
Not sure why the dust collection chute was designed that way: I suspect in the old days, when these machines were designed, folks had different standards for what constituted good dust collection.
(09-20-2017, 05:40 PM)Danny in Houston Wrote: I've finally started using my new jointer and the dust collection was horrible.  I have a Jet DC-1200VX 2hp dust collector connected directly to the 4-inch port on the jointer.  I was getting virtually no dust collection.  

So I took off the nozzle plate and looked under the machine and I discovered there was just a giant air gap behind the collection nozzle under the jointer bed.  (see photo).  Note - the dust collection nozzle plate attaches to the middle bar (notice threaded hole).  Is this normal?  There is no way any dust collector would work with this setup.

So I cut a piece of thin plywood and covered the open areas and used caulk to seal the pieces in.  Tomorrow after it dries I'm sure it will be much better.

This is a horrible design for such an expensive machine.

Am i missing something?

[Image: lPyF8xVqL7e2wAfI3][Image: UggrJokObYvE-nq2Rn0ds7onacl0sYbw8On6FKhu...97-h662-no]

I have the same jointer and had/have the same issue.  I did a similar fix with sheet metal and caulk.  If you take too heavy of a cut, the dust collection will not keep up with the thicker shavings and it will start to shoot chips up through the top.  I have a 3hp Oneida and I had called PM and and they made it sound like it was my set up and they had not heard from anyone else with this issue.  poor design.  I also put blocks between the the lower flap to assist in chips coming down towards the dc.
(09-22-2017, 07:04 AM)davidmichealco Wrote: I have the same jointer and had/have the same issue.  I did a similar fix with sheet metal and caulk.  If you take too heavy of a cut, the dust collection will not keep up with the thicker shavings and it will start to shoot chips up through the top.  I have a 3hp Oneida and I had called PM and and they made it sound like it was my set up and they had not heard from anyone else with this issue.  poor design.  I also put blocks between the the lower flap to assist in chips coming down towards the dc.
Dave,

My fix was similar and it's working fine now.  Horrible design for a $6k jointer!!   It's so ironic because the jointer's functionality is over the top great, the helix head barely notices a 10 inch wide plank making a deep cut, and the motor is so quiet.  It's a superior machine, but the dust collection??  WTF?

I also permanently opened the rubber flap.  I'm not sure a 15 hp dust collector would be any better with the design.
(10-05-2017, 09:17 PM)Danny in Houston Wrote: Dave,

My fix was similar and it's working fine now.  Horrible design for a $6k jointer!!   It's so ironic because the jointer's functionality is over the top great, the helix head barely notices a 10 inch wide plank making a deep cut, and the motor is so quiet.  It's a superior machine, but the dust collection??  WTF?

I also permanently opened the rubber flap.  I'm not sure a 15 hp dust collector would be any better with the design.
As each has pointed out, I too maybe missing something with everyone's solution to cut off any air movement other than through the cutter head.  Moving dust and more important with a jointer, large heavy chips, you need volume and velocity.  The Horsepower of the collector can be huge but if you cut off all of the air movement, you have a vacuum and nothing moves.  If you try to pull all of the air through the small opening around the cutter head, you will not have enough air mass to move the chips through the hose.  I am not familiar with the PM12-inch jointer, but I do have an older 12-inch crescent.  I found the best solution was to create an area where the chips fall under the cutter and let the air mass move the chips.
I had to modify my 8" Griz delta clone with 1/4" ply and caulk.
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I discovered that problem with my DJ20 about 10 years ago.  My posts about it showed how to seal off the top of the chute with a piece of ply.  The DJ20 (and most older jointers) is an old design- the chute is more for dust "direction" while dust "collection" was handled with a shovel and a trash barrel
Big Grin

[Image: P2150083.JPG]

[Image: P2170001.JPG]

[Image: P2170003.JPG]