For those with a drum sander ...
I used mine once for a gun cabinet that was made out of white oak that was very poor grade. Lots of knots and defects, but was a budget build. I glued up pieces, used epoxy on the real bad defects, and then put on a real coarse paper. I took my time, and it used a lot of it, but in the end it came out looking pretty nice. It has a rustic look, but it worked on a gun cabinet.
I do quite a bit of small, wide work on the CNC and laser of late (12-15" wide, x under 20" in length.)  Buying good clear stock has been a priority.  I haven't had to fire up my planer in a long time, opting to flatten on the drum sander almost exclusively.  Anything longer than 20" or so with a twist gets the planer sled and planer but that's not often.
(09-20-2017, 07:31 PM)ronlaughlin Wrote: Rarely, oh so rarely.  Most boards i work on, would require a way way more than two passes on the drum sander.  Planer is so much more efficient.

What he said.  I find myself rarely using the drum sander, and seemingly only for handling lumber already too thin for the planer.  Also, it may be surprising to some, but my planer with an indexable carbide head produces a much more ready-for-show finish than does my drum sander.
I haven't had my drum sander very long, used a Flat sander for my projects. I have found that the drum sander does not replace my planer. If a piece with a twist, or cup, goes into the sander, it comes out with the same twist, or cup, it's just smooth. I only buy rough cut lumber, so use my planer to bring boards to workable condition before they ever go to the table saw. Sometimes pieces will twist or cup after being worked and the drum sander will not correct this, my planer, or my flat sander will.
Earl
For me, where the drum sander really shines is on end grain cutting boards.   What i do is remove the majority of squeeze out when it is rubbery, then next day run the boards through the drum sander, removing a little bit at a time.  Minimizing the surface glue greatly helps the paper.  Our whole family has boards, as do a few customers.  Haven't made one for years.  Folks really like them, but the funny thing is they hate to use them, because they are so pretty.    ☺

I use it on old lumber to just take enough off to smooth it but keep it's patina.  I also use it after I use the planer to really make all the boards exactly the same thickness.  And of course on real thin boards.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.