So what are you working on?
Thumbs Up 
I'm just starting a long build, long for me anyway - a weekend job for Dave.
Wink I'm building a federal slant front desk with French feet (Hepplewhite). For the last couple of days I've been milling sides and drawer dividers. Nothing much to see yet, except some beautiful, wide 5/4 walnut I bought in PA a couple of weeks ago:

5/4 X 12" X 7 1/2'

[Image: IMG_1890.jpg]

5/4 X 16" X 10' curly

[Image: IMG_1887.jpg]

I almost hated to cut these beauties up! But I did. I'll post post more photos as I go. But I'm a very slow builder; so if you don't hear from me for a while, I haven't quit.
Smile
(09-22-2017, 02:21 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: I'm just starting a long build, long for me anyway - a weekend job for Dave.
Wink  I'm building a federal slant front desk with French feet (Hepplewhite). For the last couple of days I've been milling sides and drawer dividers. Nothing much to see yet, except some beautiful, wide 5/4 walnut I bought in PA a couple of weeks ago:

5/4 X 12" X 7 1/2'

[Image: IMG_1890.jpg]

5/4 X 16" X 10'  curly

[Image: IMG_1887.jpg]

I almost hated to cut these beauties up! But I did. I'll post post more  photos as I go. But I'm a very slow builder; so if you don't hear from me for a while, I haven't quit.
Smile

Wow Hank, it looks like that walnut has some curl in it. Curly walnut is almost impossible to find. That was defiantly a score.
I just pulled the wood for my drop leaf table. The wide board is 16" x12'. The table will be 48" long so I will be able to cut the knot out of the wide board and make the top out the one board as a slip match. I should have the top and leaves done tonight and will post some photos.

photo 7C6D7B65-7A66-4668-A59F-022286F779AF_zpspmdyhqq3.jpg
(09-22-2017, 02:41 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Wow Hank, it looks like that walnut has some curl in it. Curly walnut is almost impossible to find. That was defiantly a score.

Hi, Dave,

Looks like I'm not the only one who scored some wide walnut! Very nice!

Yes, the big board has a lot of curl, much more than the photo shows. I'm going to use it for the drop front and the top of the desk. The other two boards have some nice grain, but no curl. They will be the sides. I'm thinking about using the crotch figure in the gallery, but that's a long way off, so I may change my mind before I get there.

Hank
Thumbs Up 
Yous guys is very fortunate with your relative youth and able to enjoy such a great craft.

Keep the photos coming, please.

Smile
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
Wink 
(09-22-2017, 04:19 PM)FloridaRetiree Wrote: ...... with your relative youth .......

We're all catching up with you!!
Laugh  One and a half more years to retirement left for me (but my bride says at least 2 and one half), and not soon enough!!!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
It's been a long while since I have posted.  The fall last September kept me out of the work shop for six months and then the new shop going up kept me busy "supervising" for several months.  Once the shop was done, I got busy ... building work benches, organizing, and getting the tools moved out of storage and into the shop.  I made a few projects to get my hand in.  A box here and a small thing here and there.  Then... I decided to try something challenging.  I made a presentation box for my Henry Lever Action in Curly Cherry... it turned out rather nice... 

Since I can only work for an hour or two at a time and then have to take several hours to recover, and most of my work is done from my chair... it took several weeks to complete.  (six?)  Then I started on the next project.  I was really happy with this one however.

Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
The next project on my list was a nice Gunsmith's Tool Chest for my home office.  I was tired of digging thru desk drawers for the tools and the boxes I liked were too dang dear to those selling them, and the affordable boxes were ... ah... cheaply made and didn't suit.  So, I dragged out some butcher's paper and designed a box to exactly fit my needs.  I wanted a "closet" on the end to hang the cleaning rods set up for the various calibers, drawers for all the tools, and a "chest" on the top to hold the hammers, gunsmithing blocks, and nylon wedges... easy at hand.

This was another long project, since just like the Curly Cherry in the previous project, all the walnut started out as thick boards with the bark still on the edges and had to run thru most of the machines in the shop.  Once I had the boards roughly the sizes needed, I did most of the work with hand tools, my goal lately.  Hand tools are quieter, less messy, and simply more satisfying for me.

Another choice that made the project take much longer was to have the grain on the drawer fronts run across the front of the chest uninterrupted.  Lots of measuring, careful cutting, and time.  All I do is read, watch box sets on the flat screen, and work in the shop. 
Smirk  Time, I have.

Note that the drawer pulls and the hangers that identify the cleaning rods are all spent casings.  The ones for each pair of cleaning rods, MATCH the caliber of the cleaning rod set up. 
Laugh
Jim in Okie
The last two projects were worked on at the same time, with the knife and sheath project filling in the gaps in the Tumbler project.  The scales on the knife came from a Silver Maple we cut down here on the farm, and the sheath was my very first attempt at leather working.  I hope to do better next time around.

The tumbler project is for a Charity that supports two military charities every year.  We were there at the beginning and Miss T was the Tournament Director for six years or so.  When the tournament started, there were about 18 fisherman and a small amount of money was raised.  The first year we held a raffle, Miss Tina threw together a tumbler out of scrap and chicken wire and it served for a number of years.  That year there were 50 kayak fishermen and we raised about seven grand.  
Yes  This past year, there were more than two hundred fifty folks present, and the tournament raised more than eighteen thousand dollars... 
Laugh  The old tumbler was WAY too small and the tickets had to be dumped into a Rubbermaid tub and hand mixed... it didn't work out well. 
No

Miss T promised the Tournament Sponsor that I would make another tumbler.  I don't throw things together.  AS you can see, the new tumbler will hold a lot of tickets, and is basically done, but I will be adding some enhancements.  I will do some intarsia, cutting out some bass, bream and fly fishermen on the scroll saw, or whatever.  Anything to make it memorable. 

Next up is a toy box for one of the grandkids.... 
Big Grin   I have to stay out of the recliner and stay moving...
Time in the shop, even in the wheelchair is moving... according to the surgeon. 
Laugh
Jim in Okie
Hank, could you resaw that crotch into veneers and use them for the drawer fronts?